:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I swam back to shore not really knowing what to do next. I laid out in the sand to dry my bra and underwear. I should take a shower. Go home and take a shower. Get my story straight for coach. Beg for mercy. My jeans vibrated. Then rang. I searched through the pockets and found my phone. The caller ID read Jacob. I really didn't feel like talking right now. But I answered anyway.

"Hello Jacob."

"Babe where the hell have you been all day?" Like he really cared.

"I left early."

"And you didn't care to tell me? Here I am looking like an idiot waiting for you, who isn't even here!"

"Must have slipped my mind."

"Yea well...don't let it happen again or you'll slip my mind."

What's left of it anyway. "OK Jacob, I have to go."

"Go where? I swear if you are out with some other guy me and you are done Kira."

"Don't be a dick. Bye Jacob."

I hung up the phone even though I could still hear him yelling on the other end. What was I thinking when I started dating him? That's right I wasn't. Jacob is the kind of guy you see in movies and read about in books. Only I didn't see that when I started dating him. He was the hottest guy on the football team and he wanted me. I had my Mr. Tall Dark and Handsome. It was all great. We fit together, star football player plus star swimmer equals perfect right?

My stomach began to growl. I hadn't ate since breakfast. I got up and brushed the sand off my legs and back and gathered my clothes I had sprawled on the beach. I shook them out and got dressed next to my

truck. As I pulled on my shirt I scanned the shore again. There was a girl sitting in the sand staring out at the water. I looked around and saw no other vehicles but my truck. I watched her for a second. She seemed to be in a trance by the water. How long has she been here? I debated whether or not to go talk to her. I decide not to and hopped in my truck and roared the engine to life. The girl never broke her gaze.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

It was late in the afternoon, practice should be in full swing. Coach was probably pissed by now. I'm sure Mr. Turnney has told her about what happened today. Surprisingly enough I wasn't as worried as I should be. I knew coach would scold me, maybe even suspend me from the team for a while but she wouldn't kick me off the team for good. The team was like a human body. Without a head it can't survive for too long. No matter what, my team needed me. Oh so I thought.

"I said no Kira" Coach Sable said. The water from the pool reflected on her white face making it look blue and hard as stone.

"But coach! It won't happen again, I promise. I was just super tired and he wasn't helping me any", I pleaded, "please let me swim."

"I can't Kira. As much as I want to I just can't. You have to learn. Nobody on my team will be spoiled no matter how talented they are. This is the consequence of your actions. Now what you should do is learn from them." she said staring out at my team mates in the pool. I envied them so much.

The air was becoming to thick to breathe. I couldn't believe that this was happening to me. Swimming is my life. Sure there is plenty of water around here for me to take a dive in but there's nothing like swimming competitively. It's such a rush. And now it's gone. I took one last look out at the girls in the pool and left the building. On my way back to my truck I bumped into Jacob. He sure knows when to show up.

"Hey babe how's it goin'?" he asked with the worlds worst smile.

"Just great. How about you Jacob?"

"Well, I'm not so great. Ya see I have this problem of a girlfriend, ya know? She has been a major pain in my rear end as of late. It's really irking my nerves ya know?"

"Jacob. What do you want?"

"I want my girlfriend back Kira"

"You mean you want your play thing back"

"Don't talk to me like that. You use to be all over me. you wanted me so bad, remember?"

"Use to is the key here Jacob. I've grown up. You're still the little boy who loves his football and his girls I started dating two years ago. At the time it was OK. You were OK."

"And what? So you've just sprouted these feelings? Why wait till now? I don't understand. Whatever I did I'm sorry. Really I'll change. We have plans ya know? What about those? We can't throw them away. You can't throw our dreams away. C'mon babe. Please?"

I stare at him.

"Pwease?" he bats his almost black eyes. Ugh.

"Look. Jackie baby, I can't handle this right now. I got kicked out of English today and Coach kicked me off the team until I get out of the hole. I don't know what I'm going to do."

Jacob put his arm around my shoulders and kissed me on the forehead. "I know exactly what you are going to do babe. PARTY."

"What?"

"Kendal is having a bonfire at her parents' beach house tomorrow tonight. Finch is bringing the food and it's up to us to bring the booze."

"I don't think so Jacob" I climb into my truck and start the engine and Jacob hangs in the driver window.

"Don't be a sour puss. You know you want to. Deep down inside" he pokes my boob.

"Perv." I say as I pull off.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

When I get home I attack the fridge and settle on leftover hamburger and sink on the couch. There is absolutely nothing on TV that will take my mind off swim team. I need to to get back on the team. That

would mean staying up in Mr. Turnney's class. And catching up. I've never had to catch up to anything in my life. Today the ground caved in and I fell right through.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Hey. Hey! get your ass up kid. School starts in half an hour. And I need you out in 15."

"Dad no way. Shut up." I said into my pillow. I was still in a shitty mood from yesterday and school was the last place I wanted to be. "Get out. Shoo."

"Baby girl. Stop pouting and shit and get to school. Your ass in this bed ain't gonna change a damn thing. You keep doing what you been doing and you can kiss a swimming scholarship goodbye. And you ain't about to be no bum in my house. Get your shit straight."

My dad was the type of man who filled a doorway easily and silenced a room when he walked in. When he spoke his voice rippled in your ears like an earthquake. Despite his threatening presence he was a kind man. Is tough love is comforting and all I have now. And he had a point.

I rolled out of bed and zombie walked to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I stared at myself in the mirror, my hair frizzy and wild, I looked drowsy and old. Lost. You are a mess.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Hey girl wait up!" I turn to see Tisha running towards me. Tisha is the second strongest swimmer on the team and she blames that on me. She has an ego bigger than Kanye West.

"Hey Tish." I throw her one of my fakest toothy smiles and tilt my head slightly to the left and bat my eyes.

"So Kira coach told the team you won't be swimming until you change your ways. That's a shame too, ya know with the big meet coming up soon. All those scouts will be there..." she pauses for a response. But I'm still smiling with my head cocked to the side. " Its such a damn shame you won't be there. Your so talented and all those scouts would throw any amount of money to have you on their team. What a waste."

"I know right. BUMMER. Now they will just have to settle for sloppy seconds." I wave goodbye and head towards my second hour class.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::