Chapter 30 - New addition

30 - New addition

Aria
Zane had decided not to go back with me to the north kingdom. I guess he didn't want to cause Alyssa anymore stress. I didn't complain. He had other things to deal with anyway. I wished him luck with his brother. Knowing the temper Eli has on him, I'd be surprised if Zane came out of this without any bruises. I made it just in time.

"What the hell are you doing here? You're not welcome here!"

"It's good to see you too, Alexis. Unfortunately today is not about you. Has it started yet?"

"Has what started yet?"

"I guess not."

"Where is Alyssa?" Zaphaya appeared beside me and so did my father.

"Aria what the fuck is going on?" She glared at me hoping her glare would somehow make me disappear.

"It's almost time," Zaphaya said.

"Alexis, you should go be with mom. She doesn't have much time left." She nodded and walked away. I'm surprised she didn't argue. We followed her. I'd already said my goodbye so I went to Alyssa's room instead. She was sobbing beside Dimitri. I looked on in pity. I took a step forward and paused. What do I say to her? Why am I even here? I didn't show up when she lost the baby and she's about to lose her husband now. I didn't think she would welcome my presence. I walked backwards until I was outside of the room. I rested my head against the wall and sighed. I didn't know how to do this. This wasn't my area of expertise. I wasn't a people person. That was Zane.

"Do you need my help," Zane whispered in my mind.

"I thought you were dealing with Elijah."

"I haven't gone to the palace yet."

"You're scared."

"I'm not scared. I'm just cautious," he said appearing in front of me.

"If that's what you want to believe." There was a shout and then screaming from down the hall. It was Alexis. I knew from her cry that my mother was gone.

"She's gone."

"Are you sure you can handle this?"

"I have to. I'm the head of this family now. Keep an eye on Alyssa. I need to check on Alexis." He nodded and I walked off. Alexis was being unreasonable when I approached. She refused to let our father touch our mother. She was blocking him and preparing to fight if necessary. "Alexis you have to let him do what he came here to do."

"He's not touching her. I don't want him anywhere near her."

"Alexis." That was Chad. "You have to let go sweetie. This is not what your mother would have wanted." He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her to him. She buried her face against his front and sobbed. My heart broke for her.

"You can do what you came here to do," I said to my father. He nodded and disappeared. I watched as he found her energy source and extracted her powers from her. The minute he reappeared there was as cry and then a scream.

"Alyssa." Zaphaya disappeared. I knew that Dimitri had left us, for good this time. All around me was death. Will it ever end?

"I need to do the transfer." My lips formed into a straight line at the sound of my father's voice.

"Alexis, he needs to do the transfer."

"No."

"Alexis, it's moms gift to you."

"I don't want her powers. I can't bear knowing that she's gone." I sighed.

"Mom wants you to have them and you will accept them without complaint. Think of them as her always being a part of you." It was no use. Alexis wouldn't listen to a thing I said. I looked at Chad using my eyes to plead with him for assistance. Eventually after more sobbing and quiet whispering between the two she acceded to the transfer.