I. Reset

__________________

The trouble with real life is, there's no reset button.

- Donald E. Westlake

__________________

Napangiti si Kria when she got a notification from her ipad. Hellene was calling to check on her. Agad naman niyang sinagot ang tawag ng pinsan.

" 'sup Hel?" she chirped as she ate a spoonful of Nutella

"Lemme guess, kagigising mo palang?" taas kilay na tanong ni Hellene sa kanya, to which she just shrugged and grinned.

"No worries masusundo padin kita sa airport bukas. Congrats pala Dr. Anjelicka Hellene Altima" she winked. Hellene just rolled her eyes.

"Nothing to congratulate about! I still have my clerkship and internship after." Hellene grumbled

"Oh c'mon let me celebrate your freedom from endless schoolworks! At least next year sa ospital ka na?" Kria smiled. Hellene just shrugged

"I guess so. I'm just so bummed out so you better tour me in Japan!" giit ng pinsan sa kanya

"Hey! I promised didn't I?" she smiled. It has been four years. Since she and her cousin left the Philippines. May isang taon pa dapat sila sa college that time, ngunit alam ni Hellene na kailangang lumayo ni Kria sa lugar na iyon.

They both moved in the US, in New Hampshire at doon tinapos ni Hellene ang pre-med niya, luckily her cousin was smart enough and her brother was influential enough to get her into a student-exchange program in the last minute. Kaya naman ay katatapos palang nito sa pangatlong taon nito sa medisina. Hellene still fulfilled her promise to her parents to be a doctor and she unlike before that she envied her cousin, now nothing can ever make her feel negatively against Hellene anymore, nothing but awe for this woman who became everything to everyone.

Kria knew just how much her cousin sacrificed for her. She tried to convince Hellene that she was gonna be okay and that Hellene should just go back to finish her pre-med ngunit tumanggi ito. Hellene stayed by her side. Kria was extremely grateful. Sa mga panahong mag-isa lang siya, ay tanging si Hellene lamang ang nasandalan niya. 

But unlike Helllene...

She didn't fit quite well in New Hampshire. She didn't continue her college course. And after a year of wallowing in misery,  she told Hellene that she wanted to travel and find herself. To which Hellene agreed, for her own healing.

Kria travelled alone. But she made sure Hellene would know where she was and how she was doing. She owed her that much. Until she fell inlove with the beauty and culture of Japan. And she decided to stay.

"Alright then, see you tomorrow! Nice hair by the way" Hellene smiled and Kria just matched her grin.

She grew out her hair and bleached it. She was now sporting a platinum blonde hairdo in contrast with her pale white skin

 She was now sporting a platinum blonde hairdo in contrast with her pale white skin