Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"Seriously!" Carissa screeched. "Can you at least try to hit the ball? I'd honestly get more done if I was practicing with a pole."

I glared over at her when she turned around to get a drink of water. When she turned back around, I served the ball over to her again.

Right now, it was just us two out on the courts. Actually, we were probably the first ones here at the school. It was a bright an early 7 A.M., and the wind was biting at my body. The cold wrapped around me, freezing my body as it kissed every patch of bare skin.

"I think it is you who needs to learn how to hit it," I muttered, staring at her.

Carissa was probably my least favorite person on the team, and by me, I mean everyone's least favorite person. She was mean and thought of herself as a goddess. The promotion to captain wasn't helping with her ego, either.

Why was I practicing with her then? Trust me, practicing with a rock would have been more fun, but everyone else on the team was too 'busy' to practice with me out in the 10 degree cold weather.

She served the ball over to me, her golden brown hair flying in the wind, and I whacked it back as hard as I could. It hit her in the arm, and a angry red mark was left in its place.

"I'm done," I sighed, getting ready to leave.

"Octavia! What has gotten into you!" Carissa shouted, but I had already turned away. I waved at her from behind.

"If you leave right now, I will kick you off Varsity. Heck, I'll kick you off the entire tennis team!"

I swiveled to face her. "You wouldn't."

"Oh, I would, hun."

"Fine. Serve it to me."

"Can't I take a few minutes to rest my arm? Gosh, I should report you to the principal for assault."

"Assault? It's not my fault the ball hit you. That's what the racket is for."

"Don't play this game with me. I'm older than you, and obviously more responsible."

"You're only older than me by a year!"

"A year is a long time, Octavia."

"Not really," I retorted. "I'm leaving."

"Fine. I'll find someone else to practice with. Someone who won't hurt me."

"Here's a hint: use the racket and hit the ball back," I yelled as I pushed the door to get inside the school so that I could put my racket up. School didn't start until 8:15, and my first class was tennis. It would be useless to change my outfit now.

Inside, I simply left my racket inside, and grabbed my backpack so that I could do homework in the cafeteria. Sitting at a round table, I found Celia and Phillip

"Hey," I sighed, slumping into the chair.

"Howdy," Phillip said, latching on a fake accent.

I gave him a small smile. "Weren't you practicing with the she-devil?" Celia asked.

"Yup, but I don't dance with devils. I left her out there."

"Maybe she'll freeze."

"Let's hope so. Why are you guys already here?"

"We wanted to study."

"Can't you do that at home?" I asked.

She shrugged. "I personally get more done at school. There's no distractions."