Chapter Twenty-Six: A Wolf

The death of Seth Lark had changed everything at Doveport High, but certain things were still the same. Homecoming for instance, was just around the corner. Though Seth was no longer around to lead them, the Doveport football team was still planning to face their rivals that weekend with the cheer team on the sidelines. And after the game, there would be, of course, the Homecoming dance.

    In previous years Arsen hadn't been involved in any way- with either the dance or the game, but with Blair being on the cheer team, Arsen found himself roped into helping with the decorations. They'd finished putting up the last streamers and disco balls about an hour after school had gotten out, and now he wanted to spend time with his dad. He'd brought burgers and milkshakes with him as peace offerings- a form of apology for his behavior towards his dad on his birthday. And there was something else he wanted to show his dad too.

He'd gotten a ride from Blair on her way home and was currently standing in front of the door, trying to gather up his courage. Blair had already driven away, but Arsen was still tempted to turn around and walk back to her place. He shook his head and opened the door, slipping inside. It was unlocked- unsurprising- but what was surprising was that the inside was clean. There were no stray bottles or cans, and the kitchen sink was cleared of dishes. The trash had been taken out and Arsen thought the place may have even been vacuumed recently. Shocked at the change, Arsen stood frozen until his father came out of the back hallway.

"Dad? Did you get abducted by aliens or something?" Arsen asked, only half-jokingly.

His dad spread his arms wide and gestured down at himself, grinning. His clothes were unwrinkled and his hair looked damp, like he'd showered recently.

"I feel good, Arsen.  I shaved, cleaned the place up a bit. I think I might put some fresh paint on the walls."

"That's great, dad." Arsen said. He held up the bag with the burgers in it. "I brought lunch."

"Awesome." His dad took the bag from his hands and set it down on the coffee table and gestured for Arsen to join him in taking a seat. "I read your- what is it, an essay?" Arsen perked up immediately. His dad had been taking more of an interest in his life lately, something which Arsen was pleased about. So, when his dad had asked what he and Blair were always at school working on, Arsen had spilled the beans on their investigation and the article they were writing for the school paper about it.

"An article. Blair and I have been working on it since school started." Arsen explained. "You really read it?" He couldn't wait to find out what he'd thought of it.

"Well yeah, I'm the one who asked you for it. Of course I read it."

"I sort of figured you were just being nice." Arsen rubbed the back of his neck. "What did you think of it?"

His dad took a long sip of his milkshake. "It was excellent," he said when he swallowed. "I can hardly string a few sentences together to make a story coherent- you've got a real gift." His dad took another sip of his milkshake. "I'm proud of you for not wasting it. Can I ask you something?"

"Hm? Of course." Arsen watched his dad intently. It wasn't everyday that someone was interested in his thoughts or what he had to say about, well, anything, really.

"Why Seth Lark?" His dad asked. "Of all the things you and Blair could have written about, why did you pick a dead kid?"

Arsen shrugged. "Because, no one else would. It was like he was meant for us to investigate." His dad took that in, then nodded.

"Who do you think killed him?" He asked suddenly. "I'm sure you've both theorized about it, being so invested in what happens."

Arsen leaned back in his seat and took a considerate sip of his milkshake. "I don't- I don't think that I necessarily care who did it. For me, I just want to know why. I need to know what happened in our town to get a teenage boy killed."

"Hm." His dad nodded. "Can I make just one suggestion?"

Arsen laughed a little. "That's what Blair always says, and then she makes ten."

His dad waved a finger. "I think that, at a certain point, you kids should let this go. You should move on, for your own sake. This can't be the only story you're gonna tell, and it certainly shouldn't be the most important one." Arsen didn't have anything to say to that, so he kept his mouth shut and ate his lunch. Later, he would wonder why his father had even brought it up at all. He checked the time on his watch- he'd promised Blair he'd meet up with her before the dance started, they were supposed to have dinner at her place.

"I'm having dinner with Blair and her mom tonight," Arsen told his dad on a whim. "It's homecoming"

"Yeah? That's crazy. I remember my homecoming dances. Wow, time sure does fly." 

"Do you want to join us?" Arsen asked suddenly. He didn't know why. It wasn't as if Blair or her mom particularly wanted his dad there. Maybe he was trying to make up for his birthday, or maybe he just wanted to spend more time around his dad. He'd been right, when he'd said he shouldn't let this investigation consume him. There was more to life.

His dad looked surprised to be invited, but recovered quickly. "I don't see why not. It'll be good to see you and Blair all dressed up." He smirked.  I'll make sure to take lots of pictures."

Arsen groaned, though he wasn't truly upset. In truth, he was pleased his dad wanted to spend more time with him. He stood up, having finished his lunch. "The dance starts at seven, so we're eating at six. I'll see you there, then." His dad nodded in confirmation, and Arsen left his childhood home, a new spring in his step. Things were getting better.