Chapter Two: Out of the Pan

Blair's room was on the second floor of her house and when her door was open, she could see across the hall into what used to be her sister's room. She didn't like to make a habit of even looking at Grace's door because it reminded her that she wasn't at home anymore, the only reason she was looking that morning was because her mother had come in to lecture her about the importance of her sophomore year.

"This is the big year, Blair. This is the year where it all matters; your grades, your extracurriculars- even your personality, they'll consider that too, when you apply to colleges." Mary lectured, standing over Blair in the middle of her room. "You can't let anything get in your way this year, I need you to be focused." Blair was sitting in her window seat and wondering if the reporters on the beach were gone yet- it wasn't raining yet but the clouds in the sky looked dark and heavy.

"It's just my sophomore year, mom, I don't need to be totally perfect." Blair snorted, pulling her hair back with a grey scrunchie and standing. She was dressed in a light striped sweater and high-wasted jeans, and she was betting on the rain holding off until after school.

"Your sister used to be so much like you," Blair's mom said, staring at Blair with a weighed-down sadness while Blair tried not to let the comparison sting. She refused to look at Grace's old room. "She was such a star before she let that Lark boy ruin her." Her mother's eyes turned to ice at that. "You were late to curfew last night."

"By like, ten minutes, mom, and I was with Meredith in the shop! It's not that big of a deal." Blair protested and, feeling overwhelmed by her mother that morning, scooped her backpack up and made to flee the room only for Mary to step in front of her.

"Blair I- I just want you to be safe. Please, be careful, especially with that Meredith and her family. Good luck at school today." Mary said stepping aside and allowing Blair to leave.  She tried and failed to not look towards Grace's room as she left.

Blair had barely made it outside when Meredith pulled her car beside the curb. Climbing in, they sped off together. Meredith was quiet in the car, she'd hugged Blair extra tightly when they'd parted ways the night before, anxious about returning to school. A quick glance at her friend, however, showed that her eyes were clear of tears. They pulled into the school lot smoothly but sat in the car for a full minute in silence once Meredith pulled the keys from the ignition.

"Nothing is going to ever be the same here, is it?" Meredith finally asked in a small voice. Her eyes were still clear, but her voice wobbled ever so slightly.

"No, no they won't." Blair answered, feeling useless for not being able to do anything to help her friend.

The first warning bell rang inside the building. Neither of them moved.

The girls were shaken from their moment by someone knocking on the window. Startled, Blair looked up to see her friend, Kenny, standing beside her door, gesturing for them to get out. Blair opened her door and got out with her bag.

"You're both going to be late and then there'll be even more rumors when you do go in eventually." Kenny said in his matter-of-fact way. He was looking at Blair when he said it, but it was clear who the words were really directed at.

Blair had known Kenny for ages, that was how things went in small towns. His mother, Sheriff Kins, had been in charge of the search for Seth.

As far as friends went, Kenny was a decent one. He always could be counted on to show up where he was wanted, however he often turned up where he was unwanted as well. Like now. Kenny had a big mouth and although his heart was in the right place, Blair knew he'd blab about Meredith's morning meltdown the second he was out of earshot.