He rejected the Bond

It had been 3 months, three months since Gwyn’s memories came back. But she could still feel the gap in her memories as she knew the memories of her nightmares weren’t there, and neither were her memories with Azriel.

Her memories of training with Azriel were there. But that was all. Their relationship was still platonic. They were friends, simply friends.

But Azriel had told her she was his mate, and she knew that. Had known since Sangravah. But she acted surprised, so that he didn’t know. And then he had asked her if she wanted to go out with him. She had said that she needed time to think.

But the truth was she knew she already liked Azriel, even from just the little fragments of him in her memory. But still, she’d said it, she had wanted to see if he would back out.

He did. He didn’t exactly back out, but Gwyn saw him sitting with Elain. She was just going to tell him yes, that she did want to start a mated life with him, that she may even want to spend her entire life with him, but then she saw him sitting with Elain.

Even though she told herself she didn’t care. Even though she kept telling herself that holding hands and looking with such intensity in each other’s eyes like Azriel and Elain were looking, she knew she was lying.

She tried to say yes when Azriel asked her again. But all she could say was “no” A simple ‘no’ that had ruined the chances of her ever being mated.

Though she did not have that much of a connection with Azriel, it still hurt her. It still hurt her to see her mate going on dates with Elain. It still hurt her to see Azriel bringing Elain to her room, instead of Gwyn.

From one of her memories, which Nesta had given her, she saw him and Azriel playing a tickle fight. And now she heard the same laughs of Azriel from the other room. Her only regret was that the sound of his laugh didn’t mix harmoniously with her own, but instead with Elain’s.

So it was fine. A little part of her still thought there was a chance there could be a her and Azriel. But that chance was ruined today, when Azriel came up to her.

“Gwyn, we need to talk. ” They were in Gwyn’s room, he had just entered a few minutes ago.

“Yeah” Gwyn replied, trying to be joyful but was only returned with a sad smile from Azriel. “What’s wrong?” She asked, worried now.

“Gwyn I don’t want to waste any of our time, neither yours or mine. So I’m going to get straight to the point. I- I want to reject the bond. ”

“Oh” Oh. He wanted to reject the bond. He wanted to reject the bond. He wanted to reject the bond. Gwyn felt like someone was repeatedly stabbing her when Azriel didn’t take back his words. He wanted to reject the bond.

She felt like her insides were blocked. That she couldn’t speak. That she couldn’t do anything. Everything inside of her was telling her to beg him not to, but even she had a shred of dignity left, so she didn’t back down, didn’t curl up on the floor and start crying, like everything in her wanted to.

“So why don’t you?” She asked, her voice breaking even though she tried to have some integrity. “Gwyn I-. I thought it could work, but- but I don’t think that we’ll ever work out. Even Elain is ready to reject the bond with Lucien. And I- I think I should do the same. I don’t want there to be any bad blood between us-”

“Do it” Gwyn said. “Reject the bond” She said again. “Gwyn-”, “It’s fine shadowsinger. I guess our paths were not meant to meet.” And Azriel looked at her for a long moment. An unrecognizable emotion in his eyes, “I guess so” He said and left her room.