1 - Welcome to Intelligence

season one episode one

The anxiety that was flooding through Rey's veins was almost overwhelming as she entered the Twenty-First district, the overthinking playing a big part of it as well. She tried her best to not look terrified in front of all the Officers that walked past her, but knew there was no hiding it. Her hands were clammy and it felt as though it was the first time going overseas all over again, except this time she wasn't going to fight a war.

The only thing that was slightly distracting her was the unusual feeling of the Glock 17 holstered to her hip, along with the weightlessness of not having to carry her Patrol Uniform and vest. Instead she had sported a pair of black high-waist jeggings and a plain grey t shirt. She didn't want to over dress for her first day, but her hair was done in French plaits and some light make up had been applied.

It was a pair of hands placed on her shoulders that took her out of her thoughts, turning her head to the person behind her, she sighed in relief when Jay appeared behind her.

"Dam, you look terrified," Jay commented as he pushed her towards the stairs where the gate was. Rey could only scowl at her brother as he motioned for her to use the palm scanner, which she did. The gate buzzed open and Jay pulled it open, motioning for her to head up the stairs. "Ladies first."

Rey rolled her eyes before pulling the finger and storming up the stairs, only to be surprised when no one was sitting at their desks. When she couldn't see Voight sitting in his office chair she was able to gather pretty quickly that both Jay and her were a little early.

Not seconds later Antonio had appeared from the locker room followed by Julia, and now both stood in front of the Halstead siblings. For a second she thought how they'd communicate, but Antonio quickly interrupted that thought when he spoke up.

"Welcome to Intelligence, kid," he greeted while holding out his hand.

A smile appeared on Rey's face as she took his hand and shook it firmly. "Thanks Antonio."

"Right, you're gonna be at this desk here," Antonio instructed, pointing to a spare desk that sat behind Jays. "Oh, and also, we're gonna need to put you under a different last name so we don't get you and Jay mixed up."

"Dakota."

Both Antonio and Julia furrowed their brows while Jay laughed, the fond memories of the two serving together for a couple years hitting him, and their mates using the name for her.

"Huh?" Julia was still awfully confused.

"It's my middle name. My mates used it while I served," Rey explained.

Antonio shrugged his shoulders and nodded his head. "Dakota. Yea, that'll work."

"Who's Dakota?" The voice of Erin Lindsey questioned from behind.

Rey stuck hand up in the air as Erin made her way to her desk. "That's my code name since Halstead's already taken," she took the chance to glare at her brother who only smiled down at her sarcastically.

"And where did you get Dakota as your 'alias'?" Erin asked, but her gaze seemed to be on Jay as a guess.

"It actually wasn't Jay, it was our friend Mouse. We knew him since we were kids and somehow he managed to find out my middle name, so yea it was his idea."

"Wasn't me," Jay mumbled under his breath, still denying the fact that he'd told Mouse her middle name, which she hated by the way.

"It so was."

"Not even five minutes into the day and there's already arguing, this is going to be fun," Erin snickered.

"His fault."