Chapter 13

Evelyn POV:

Evelyn POV:

It's the start of a new week in college and I'm feeling pretty excited for the practical lesson we have today. Over the weekend, we were given the task of researching a technically challenging dish and finding many recipes until we chose the one that best suited us and that we could utilise to create the dish effectively and within the time frame provided.

I chose a chocolate soufflé because I wanted to push myself and see how far my baking abilities reached. This dish had been chosen by a few others as well, and I couldn't wait to see how we all performed. Isla did however give me some pointers on how to make the soufflé because she had made a few in the past when trying to impress the person she was dating at the time.

Everyone was currently standing behind their workstations, with their ingredients on the countertop in front of them. Miss O'conner was at the front, telling us all not to rush and to take our time in case we became stressed and panicked, resulting in us stopping and giving up. "Right, I think everyone has their ingredients and method sheets," she said with a warm smile. "Good luck, you may begin."

I turned to face Skye and Mia, giving them both a small grin. Mia gave us both a thumbs up, and Skye laughed lightly while mouthing the words "we got this." I've decided to make two soufflés in case one of them fails. Isla had said that because it was my first time, I might not get it right on the first try, which I'm fine with, but I'd still prefer a successful one to display to the others and maybe impress a certain brown haired beauty.

I washed my hands before turning on my oven to 180°. I ran my finger along my method sheet, gathering the necessary equipment and ingredients to begin my soufflé. In preparation for my mixture, I buttered a soufflé dish and sprinkled it with breadcrumbs.

When I looked over at Mia, I saw her combining some ingredients in a sauce pan, while Skye was combining ingredients in some kind of a dough. I smiled at their focused expressions and returned my attention to my own dish.

I took a medium-sized sauce pan and melted my butter over medium-low heat, then added the flour and stirred until the lumps were gone. I removed my pan from the heat and added milk in small amounts, thoroughly mixing it in. I then returned my pan to the heat and let it thicken for 10 minutes.

While I waited for the sauce to thicken, I filled a second sauce pan halfway with water and topped it with a bowl filled with chocolate. I cracked a couple eggs and split the egg whites and yolks into two bowls once the sauce had thickened and the chocolate had completely melted. With the egg yolks and chocolate, I mixed my ingredients.

I took a deep breath as the next part could either make or break my dish. If I overstir the mixture, it will flatten out and lose volume. I have to fold it carefully and then place it into the soufflé dish quickly. I whisked the egg whites until they were fluffy and they held their shape. I then took a metal spoon and gently stirred the whipped whites into the sauce in a figure of eight motion.

I wiped my forehead with my hand before sighing in relief as I saw the mixture hadn't fallen flat after I had mixed it. I grabbed the two soufflé dishes and filled them up halfway with the mixture before placing them on a baking tray and putting them in the oven. I ran a knife around the edge to create a 'top hat' effect; this ensures the soufflé rises above the rim and doesn't stick.

I then waited for 25-30 mins until the top was golden and had risen with a slight wobble, meaning it was done. I took them out and inspected them both. One of them hadn't been raised properly, which I kind of expected as most things don't go as planned on the first attempt. My second soufflé had actually gotten a good rise and looked evenly baked. I finished my dish by sprinkling some icing sugar over the top and plating it up.

I glanced up towards the clock on the wall above the door and sighed in relief when I saw we still had 12 minutes left. I washed and dried the equipment I used and placed my less appealing soufflé to one side. Once finished, I looked around the room and was thoroughly impressed at the dishes I saw everyone had managed to create. I could tell by the wide smile on Miss O'Conners' face that she was also impressed with us all.

Mia had made a strawberry soufflé. She pointed at it with a wide grin on her face, and me and Skye chuckled at her innocence. I gave her two thumbs up and she let out a light squeal of excitement. We both turned to look at Skye's dish and you could tell we were both proud and impressed by her dish. She had made glazed cinnamon cardamom buns. They honestly looked amazing and were beautifully presented.

She had worried that she wouldn't do well as her last practical cook hadn't gone so well. I gave her a wide grin "well done, it looks great!" She smiled at mine and Mia's show of support. Miss O'Connor's timer had gone off and we were all already done with our dishes, waiting for her approval. When she got to me, Skye and Mia, she had been thoroughly impressed.

She seemed to gravitate more towards Skye's dish, but me and Mia understood as it did look amazing. "This looks incredible, Skye. Well done." Skye had the biggest grin on her face and you could tell the sudden attention from the whole class was making her slightly embarrassed by the pink tint in her cheeks.

A//N Do you like these type of chapters where I explain how the dishes are made? I feel like it just breaks up the story nicely.