Chapter 4

Evelyn and Isla's apartment.

Evelyn's POV:

It's the end of my first week at college, and it's already Friday evening. So far, I have to say that I am liking it. Now that we've all had a few group conversations and paired up tasks to perform during the week, the class has come together a little more.

On Thursday, we had to give Miss O'conner feedback on what we found on our assignments, and she was really pleased with mine, as well as another student named Jake's, so that makes me happy.

I also remembered to text Mia about meeting up, as well as asking Skye if she was available, which she gladly was. We all exchanged numbers and started a group chat for the three of us named "troubled trio." We decided that tonight would be a good time for us to get to know each other better.

My phone pinged on my bedside table, notifying me with a message; upon checking my phone, I realise it's Mia texting the group chat.

- Troubled Trio -

Mia - 'I'm outside, with Skye. I wasn't sure if you wanted us to buzz up so I thought I would message you just incase."

Eve - 'That's cool, for future reference you can buzz for as long as you want. I'm coming now.'

I place my phone back down on the bed, stand up and walk through the apartment, towards the front door. When I open it, Mia greets me with a wide grin and an unexpected tight hug, followed by Skye's light chuckle and a simple "Hey, Evelyn." I motioned for them to come into the apartment, once Mia released me.

Surprisingly, Skye is the first to speak after taking a look around the apartment and expressing her admiration. "Wow Evelyn, I really like your apartment," she says. "It's quite similar to the complex that I live in." I turn to face her after learning that she, too, lives in an apartment in the area.

"Thank you, me and my sister Isla designed it together" She smiles at that "That's cool, I live alone so I just kind of picked the first thing I could actually pay for and stuck with it, but it's grown on me so I'm not complaining too much about it."

We're interrupted in our conversation by a slight crash in the kitchen, which causes us to raise our eyebrows in surprise. Me and Skye turn towards the kitchen and see Mia frantically trying to pick up the fruits from the bowl that she knocked over.

"Oh my days, Evelyn, I'm so sorry." Before the three of us burst out laughing, we watch as one of the apples rolls over from the rest of the now discarded fruits on the floor and stops right in front of Skye. "Don't worry, Mia. It's fine." She seems skeptical at my response.

"I should have probably informed you that, that bowl has a habit of falling on the floor. You aren't the first person to knock it over, and you certainly aren't the last." She seems to calm down once I convince her that everything is fine.

"I have a good feeling about you two, you know," Skye says, running her hand through her hair before staring at us. "I wasn't sure at first, but I'm liking how we're getting along." "Yeah, me too," Mia adds, and I nod, "I agree, to be honest."

Before Mia tells us she needs to leave, we spend about 2 hours just talking and getting to know each other. Skye is the eldest in our class, and I learned that she studied business but decided it wasn't for her, so she went into catering. However, her parents live in Devon so she usually just video calls them until she can go and visit them. She's also bisexual, which caused me to get a little too enthusiastic and urge her to'spud me' (this is just another way of saying fist bump me in England).

Mia's family is quite wealthy, but she wants to show that she is self-sufficient and capable of supporting herself, which makes sense given that she works at a café and saves up and spends her own money rather than relying on her parents' income. She's straight, and believe me when I say that if any boys come near her, Skye and I will be conducting thorough investigations to protect our precious bean.

To be honest, it almost feels as if we've always been three of the closest friends. Our friendship just feels that natural. I'm honestly grateful that I was assigned to a class with these two because I would have been at a complete loss without them.

Skye recommends that we meet on Sunday at a restaurant she visits frequently. She also mentioned a cold-eyed goddess that she had seen in there on more than one occasion before and would like to see again. Mia and I both agree to go, especially after witnessing Skye practically drool over this mysterious "cold-eyed goddess."

Mia walks away after hugging both me and Skye, and Skye decides it's best if she heads off too. She gives me a light smile before passing completely through the door. "Thank you, Evelyn, for inviting me tonight." "It was no trouble, have a good night. I'll see you, on Sunday!"

A//N strong trio rt.