Part 1

Present day:

Captain Inej Ghafa's foot struck stone without a sound. She inhaled deeply, taking in the heavy scent of Ketterdam. It was thick with smoke tangling in the sea air. The last crates of fish unloaded from hulking vessels, and from somewhere in the distance, the warm scent of spices mingling with cooking meat as midday markets closed and the taverns opened for dinner. Taking in the cramped building and bustling streets with a half-smile, Inej surveyed the city she'd once laid claim to. It was still hers, no matter how many years she'd spent at sea, each time she'd returned to her berth the city had greeted her like she'd never left. In a way, she supposed that was true. A part of her heart would remain in the crooked streets no matter how far the current carried her.

"Captain!" Azalea, Azzie, her first mate, shouted from behind her, "Are you heading off?"

Inej cast a look over her shoulder. The Wraith was docked safely in the Ketterdam harbor once more, Berth 22 as always. It was looking a little old, tired after the rough years at sea. The white script Kaz had commissioned on the front that read The Wraith was fading thanks to salt spray and sea air. She knew she would probably need to have it repainted, but some part of her couldn't bear to paint over that too. It had been nearly five years, and still, the pang of pain in her heart remained. She didn't know if it would ever go away, she didn't know if she even wanted it to.

She checked her cloak pocket. His gloves were there.

Inej turned towards Azzie, and nodded, the barest hint of a smile flitting across her lips, "Can you take care of The Wraith until I get back?"

It wasn't really a question. Inej trusted Azzie, depended upon her, but this was the same routine they'd maintained for years. It certainly wouldn't change now.

"Sure can, Captain," she grinned, the gold hoop in her ear catching the light of the setting sun.

Inej threw one last look over her shoulder as she began to walk the familiar cobblestone streets,

"And make sure Rotty doesn't drink all our lager!"

The peel of Azzie's laugh echoed against the buildings, loud and joyous. Contentment nestled its way into the crook of Inej's chest, a soft and welcome reprieve from pervading sadness.

She was home.

---