Chapter Forty-Six

I rubbed the bridge of my nose in frustration before focusing back on my video call with Brandon. "God, Brandon, everything's such a mess," I grumbled as I lifted my phone camera closer to my face.

 "Well, no shit, you're in the hospital," Brandon snorted, his eyes alight with amusement. 

I looked around at the bare hospital walls with a sigh, the action making me feel even more miserable than I felt before. "God, I hate it here," I mumbled as I sunk lower down into the bed.

"Well, then you should have thought about that before throwing yourself off the horse like an idiot," he lectured.

I rolled my eyes. "You sound exactly like Nathan." 

Brandon's eyes softened. "Soph, that's only because the two of us both care about you," he explained gently.

I swallowed thickly, hating to be reminded that Nathan felt something for me. I mean, yeah, it felt good in the moment when he called me his friend, but after I took some time to think, all I felt was guilty. It meant my plan had worked, and I wasn't sure if I was all that happy that it had.

"Where is Mr lover boy, anyway?" Brandon hummed as he waggled his brows.

I gave him a deadened look as he spoke the words 'lover boy', but I was too lazy to comment on it. I rolled my eyes. "He's in the bathroom. And believe it or not, it's the first five minutes he's actually left me alone all day," I spat drily. 

"He keeps looking at me like he thinks I'll drop dead at any second, and he won't let me do anything myself. For fucks sake, he literally opens packets of food for me, like I'm some kind of child. It's humiliating!" I cried.

Brandon's brows knitted together. "Well, what do you expect, you scared him. And I'm not going to lie, Soph, but you scared the shit out of me too. When your parents called yesterday and told me what happened, I-I honestly didn't know what to think," he mumbled, his words leaving tightly out his throat. 

It was only at that moment, did I realize how shaken Brandon looked, and behind the amusement of his eyes, there seemed to be a hidden air of fear.

"Oh fuck, I'm so sorry, Brandon," I groaned, hating that I had made him feel like crap.

 His lips pricked up into a comforting smile. "Hey, don't worry about it, it wasn't your fault; accidents happen," he reassured kindly.

I returned his smile, and relaxed feeling happy that he wasn't mad at me. "You might be the only person who hasn't gotten mad at me," I said with a distant chuckle. 

Brandon cocked up an amused eyebrow. "Why? Who else have you pissed off?" he snorted.

"My parents," I said flatly. "Nathan got hold of my phone and called them, and now they've been calling me on and off all day to lecture me. My dad literally drove to my mum's hospital, so he could team up with my mum to yell at me," I spat out miserably.

"Ooph," Brandon winced. "They didn't know you went to Greece, did they?"

"Nope," I said bluntly. "And they weren't exactly thrilled to hear that I went to a random country without telling them. Especially with some random guy," I mumbled. 

"Well, it wasn't some random guy, it was your new boo," Brandon said, winking playfully.

I snorted. "Yeah, well, that's exactly what my parents thought," I snorted. "After their long heartfelt yet threatening speech, they swiftly moved on to the topic of Nathan. And let me tell you, that was not fun," I muttered darkly.

"Oh really, tell me more?" Brandon said as he leaned forward in intrigue. He was clearly getting a kick out of listening in on my embarrassment, and I could hardly blame him.