Chapter 8- Almost Honest

"And he looked up at death as his time dawned. Please he said... just one more life. I promise I'll be quick."
-Atticus

>>------------->

Chapter 8- Almost Honest

I peeled the sweaty gym clothes off my body, changing back into my Modern Baseball t-shirt and dark jeans. Honestly at this point it was quite hot for jeans but in all honesty I had no other options.

"Ready?" Tucker asked watching me stuff the disgusting outfit in my bag.

Was I really ready? No. Would I ever be? Likely not, but the route to happiness often includes forgiveness. I think. But did I need to forgive him? Should I forgive him? So many thoughts like a hurricane in my mind. I wanted him but I didn't know if I was right to or not.

Nonetheless.

"Yeah." I said calmly as I got up, trying to keep myself from shaking.

"My car is out back." He said, he opened the door holding it for me and leading the way down the hallway. Honestly I was kind of glad he was parked in the back. I'm not entirely sure if I wanted Olivia to see me with Tucker.

I wasn't sure I wanted anyone to see me with him for the matter.

I believe he might have felt the same the way as he walked a few feet away from me so honestly, it didn't look like we were together.

He opened the back door again holding it for me. He offered a sly smile as I passed him, it made my blood boil but also gave me butterflies. Two feelings that I'm sure aren't natural partners.  "My car is the black one." He said walking over to a 2000s Ford sports car. It had some rust growing around the wheel wells.

Honestly I wouldn't have expected anything different from him. Typical 'social butterfly turned outcast' I think. Dylan said he used to play football so I assume he was once part of the scene but he seems more of a lone wolf now. I got in the passenger seat and he started the car. The engine needed some repairs by the mere sound of it.

And I know nothing about cars.

He pulled out of the parking lot and went the opposite direction that Olivia and I would go. The silence was extremely loud and uncomfortable. Even the sound of the radio didn't really help. Gazing out the window, my body pressed to the door, we drove for about ten minutes. Not once did he make a sound, he didn't look at me, his eyes glued to the road in front of him, his expression cold and bored with a hint of nervousness. I started to wonder why I was even here, we couldn't just talk in the parking lot? I then pondered how I would get home. I'd probably have to ask him or have Dylan bail me out. Again I wasn't so sure how much I wanted Olivia to know especially if she could accidentally out me to my parents.

We ended up pulling into a quiet street with decent sized houses. He stopped at a grey house with rustic wood trim. Wordlessly the car turned off and he got out. He momentarily waited for me to copy his movements (I eventually got the hint) before turning to the house.

I looked around walking up the front steps, it was definitely a large yard. Wild flowers and trimmed hedges were a statement here. Some of them were definitely dying though, as autumn drew closer. "You can put your bag down anywhere." Tucker urged as he continued farther into the house. I quickly threw my bag on the bench by the door and kicked off my shoes. I wasn't about to get dirt on someone's floor as much as I may slightly despise them.