Chapter Three- A new plan

A/N: I'm sorry to say that this is about as long as the other chapters in this story. I hope that this will change as I get more and more into the story. This chapter would have been longer but I chose to stop here because I felt it would be best.

I walk over to the Gryffindor table slowly, now what am I to do? Severus won't even glance at me, let alone talk to me. Why did James have to be such a jerk?

I won't know if I have any classes with Severus until McGonagall passes out the class schedules, and I'm one of the only people in here, not counting Severus, James, and a few more slytherins that I don't know by name.

I take a seat at the front of the Gryffindor table by the teacher's table, and as far away from James as possible. A few minutes after I sit down James's gang of friends come waltzing in and start over towards where James is sitting alone and looking pitiful.

'Did I really do that?' I ask myself. A strange feeling goes through my body a horrible feeling. I didn't mean to be rude to him, but I mean he and his friends have been mean to Sev every single day since we all started Hogwarts. So he deserves it right? Why would he even ask ME out? There are plenty of older and more 'easy' girls than me.

That's when I notice that I am still staring at James and his friends. He runs his hands through his black messy hair while recounting the encounter with me to his friends, meanwhile he has a almost determined look on his face and deep down I know that will not be my last encounter with Potter.

James's friend, Sirius Black, is known for being a ladies man as well. He has black hair, but longer and more controlled. He and James do more of the instigating when it comes to picking on Sev. So I dislike him as much as James at this point.

Remus Lupin opens up a book as James finishes talking, his brown hair falling into his eyes. Remus is really a sweet guy and I have no idea what he is doing with those nincompoops that he calls friends. Remus and I will sometimes be partnered together in class so we can both challenge the other. So all in all the only bad thing about Remus is his choice in friends.

I have no idea how Peter Pettigrew became friends with them. I don't mean to be rude, but Peter is more like the kind of kid that James and Sirius would pick on, not become best friends with. He is a sweet kid from the times that I've talked to him. He's a bit on the shy side so when he has talked to me it has been with few words. He seems like a loyal friend, always willing to go along with whatever stupid plan James or Sirius come up with while talking in the common room.

I suddenly realize that I'm outright staring at this small group of guys and have to physically grab my face and turn it away from them.

Luckily for me they didn't seem to notice and a distraction comes soon enough.

"Good Morning, Ms. Evans." Mrs. McGonagall says to me about ten minutes later.

"Good Morning Mrs. McGonagall. You're here early." I say making light conversation.

"Yes, well I like to try to get up early on the first day. This is the first year I've accomplished it, so I see it as a good sign that this will be a good year." She explains as she searches through the half-sized pieces of paper in her hand, the stack is pretty thick.

"Oh yes here we go. Evans, Lily. I hope you do enjoy your classes this year dear. I will see you later today in Transfiguration." She says quickly before moving along down the table. I notice that more and more students have come in and that almost all the tables are at least half full.

As I'm glancing around I see Rita and Ebony walk into the great hall. They look for me as they walk up one side of the Gryffindor table. They both stop to talk to James and his group of friends. I watch as they talk for a few minutes and then I turn my head to stare down at my plate. The next time I look up Ebony is pulling Rita by the hem of her shirt sleeve down the table looking for me.

"There you are Lily. We couldn't see you all the way from the door," Ebony explains as she sits her book bag beside mine on the floor and takes a seat beside me.

"Yes, well I thought we'd switch things around this year. I never liked sitting in the middle so close to James and his friends." I say with a tinge of annoyance when I have to speak Potter's name.

"Oh Lily. They are all so nice though!" Rita exclaims as she sits down on Ebony's right side.

"They are nice," Ebony agrees with Rita as she butters a slice of toast.

"Not to Severus!" I say angrily.

"Well he's a slytherin, so can you really blame them?" Rita says being her conceited 'Gryffindors rule the world' self.

"Yes, I can blame them! Sev never did anything to instigate their cruelty. They don't even do it because he's a slytherin. They just do it to be cruel!" I say angrily standing up.

"Now if you'll excuse me I've lost my appetite." I swing my bag onto my arm before moving quickly down the aisle in between the Gryffindor and Ravenclaw tables. I can hear them calling after me, but they stop once they realize I'm too far beyond angry to listen to their futile attempts at an apology. Sure they'll defend James and his friends to the moon, but Sev who actually deserves to be defended they could care less about.

'I really just need my best friend,' I say to myself as hot, angry tears roll from my eyes. I wipe them away quickly. Tears are a sign of weakness and Lily Evans is not weak. Sev and I will get past whatever is going on with him, and I will figure out a way to get James to leave me alone.

I stop walking on a staircase, I don't even know for sure what floor I'm on at this point, but I decide that I'll figure it out later. I take a deep breath and get control of myself. I look up at the wall and see all of the pictures. They look back at me with my red wild hair, disheveled clothes, and red eyes.

I decide to head to my first class, Charms, and just wait outside the door and read some of the new spells from this year's book. But before I start heading back down to the second floor, I read the rest of my schedule.

"Yes, we have potions with Slytherin." I whisper to myself. As I head back down the stairs I think of the perfect way to get Sev to talk to me today. And this time it'll be on my own terms, not his. No more taking two minutes to get ready just to 'try' and catch him before he sits down at the Slytherin table. No this time he'll be the one off guard.

'What if he tells me to stay away from him?' That little voice in my head asks me.

"He won't." I tell myself, my voice steady and sure.

As I head down the stairs, I take a deep breath before going down the next step. This helps calm me down and helps pass the time because I had forgot that if I get to charms early, then that will give Ebony and Rita a chance to talk to me. I'm not even close to being ready to forgive them or hear their apologizes for earlier. I'm not even sure that they will even offer me an apology, and in the case that they don't I'm not ready to pretend to forgive them or really forgive them.

As I think about it more and more, I am almost absolutely sure that they won't say sorry for this morning because they will think that what they said wasn't wrong. They believe that Severus is a deatheater, and there is no thing lower than a deatheater. However, I know something that they don't. Severus would NEVER EVER let me down by becoming one of those traitors. Why would he agree to serve a man who kills muggleborns and muggles? His father is a muggle! I'm a muggleborn!

There is nothing that would or could ever make him decide to become such a monster.