𝘴𝘪𝘹 | 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘥𝘶𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴

"Your son?"
"Yes, my son."

There was a brief moment of sadness that passed by her eyes, and the other three could see it. That was the one thing that was able to break her, break through the hard walls that surrounded her. Her face fell far past the steady scowl, and her hands began to fidget. It's like she got nervous whenever she mentioned him, and none of them knew why.

"Why would he know what happened to your son?"
Instead of sadness, her face now filled with anger.
"I was captured during a mission to apprehend the Winter Soldier, which resulted in myself getting tortured for days on end. I remained unbroken for weeks, but right at the very end, I let it slip about my son. I did not understand why they let me go, but two weeks later, my son disappeared."

Steve refused to believe it. There's no way, absolutely no way he would kill a child even if he wasn't in his right mind. He believed in his friend that much, and while maybe that wasn't wise, he knew that killing someone so young is something he would never do.

"So why do you need our help?"
"Because you are the best and brightest I have access to. I know all about you, all three of you, and I know that you are truly the ones who can help me."
"Yeah, but why us? Why are we the best option?"

The woman looked between the three of them before settling her gaze on Natasha.

"Natasha Romanoff. Former Russian spy working under the guise of The Black Widow. Classically trained in hand to hand combat, ballistic, acrobatics, and ballet. You're a heavily renowned operative amongst our division. Young recruits often look up to you as a symbol of power and femininity. We train our newest operatives in much the same way you would have trained."

Natasha scrunched up her nose. If they trained new "recruits" the same way she was trained, there was something far worse going on than she'd previously thought. Her history was not something to model future fighters after, and she certainly shouldn't be a role model for the reasons she seemed to be.

"How old are your recruits?"
"Our youngest trainees are around age 12, and once they reach age 18 they are submitted into the program."

Those words made her sick. Girls that were so young that they had no idea what they were even signing up for.

She turned to Sam next.

"Sam Wilson. Former pararescue operative for the United States Air Force. You and your teammate were tasked with testing out a new piece of equipment that was meant to be used in place of traditional planes and helicopters. Your partner died while you were on a mission that could not be accomplished with helicopters as it was too dangerous. You left the Air Force shortly after and became a counselor for veterans."

Sam let out a whistle.
"Damn, I feel like I'm famous."
"I admire your ability to adapt to new surroundings so quickly. You truly are an impeccable example of American patriotism."
"Aww, it's nothing."

She then turned to Steve, who looked her right in the eyes. He swore they widened, if only for a second, when they met, almost like she recognized him. As fast as the look of recognition was there, it was gone.

"And Steve Rogers. Captain America himself. You are the reason I am here in the first place. Thanks to you, I am able to keep this country safe under the guidance of so many intelligent people."
He furrowed his brows.
"What are you talking about?"
"Your trial run of the super soldier serum paved the way for further research into creating the perfect American soldier. After you disappeared, America needed its new protectors, it's new Captain America. Well, nobody could replace you, so instead they opted for a more tactical approach: a team of genetically perfect political hitwomen and soldiers who would ensure the safety of everyone in this country. Your work all those years ago are the whole reason I am here on this mission to find this horrific monster known as the Winter Soldier."

He couldn't believe what he was hearing. It didn't make any sense to him, the American government employing genetically modified super-soldier hitwomen to do their dirty work. Those in charge were clearly not who they used to be.

He felt guilty that she was here in the first place. She so happy, so carefree, so...at peace all those years ago. Now, she seemed like a hollowed out shell of the women he once knew over 50 years ago, devoid of emotion and personality.

And to add on to that, his former friend was the exact same way, just working on a different side. It was ironic; the pair he'd known to do everything together ended up sharing the same fates, just now on opposing sides. The two were always so happy together, so full of hope and light for their future, so in love, and now it was like they wanted to watch each other burn in a fire of their own making.

"I...they made you because of me?"
"Yes, you inspired and empowered the American government to continue its quest for peace."

He felt sick. If what Natasha had said was true and this had been going on for over 50 years, that means the people he trusted had set this in motion. The ones he'd thought would protect the country employed and exploited women for their own selfish reasons.

"Well, you seem to know a lot about us. Still think we can help you?"
"Yes, I do. Each of your skill sets will come in handy in my mission."
"Well, we're happy to help."

Each one of them had reasons they'd never convey; Natasha wanted to know what was going on with this organization of hers. After hearing all about it, she couldn't let it continue the way it was without toppling it to the ground.

Sam was just happy to be included. As strange as that sounded, he was glad that he could help. After everything that had happened he felt like he had no good left to do, and now he could at least partially make a difference.

Steve was the most determined of the three. After seeing both of his friends for the first time in years, and seeing what became of them both, he couldn't let it slide. He had to try to fix this, free them both from whatever shackles kept them in their place. This was no way for them to live, no way for them to feel about each other when they used to be so in love.

He stood up a little straighter, determination on his face.

"Alright, tell us what we have to do."