Part 28

"Unfortunately, you were, Asmita. But you were also my salvation. The one to make me realize that there is something more important than ego, than money and fame. You showed me what being human was," he said, looking straight into her eyes, but not through her screen of sarcasm.

"I don't deserve to be tortured like I was, just to be the salvation of someone, Mr. Malhotra. I am not a doll to be exploited for the upliftment of some flawed human. I am a human. I have emotions. I have desires. Dreams. Designations. I would like no one to use me as an instrument to become human," she said, spewing fire like Daksh had never seen.

His fist clenched to control the emotional turmoil that stabbed a dagger right through his heart. Her words rained down upon him like poisoned arrows, making him writhe and whimper in pain.

"I am sorry, Asmita. I really am. I have been waiting for years to make up for my mistake. Will you give me a chance? Even if you don't, don't punish yourself or your dear ones. Sunita is waiting for one chance to reunite with you. Don't punish her for my mistakes."

The mention of Sunita mellowed her anger down. She wondered that if she had not known Sunita, would she be facing the same situation? She brushed away the thought. She knew without Sunita's presence in her life, loneliness would have taken her in its embrace and crushed her from within.

"I want to meet her. I want to meet Sunita," she said, eying Daksh with a look that dared him to stop her if he can.

"Whenever you want, Asmita. I can escort you myself if you are fine with it."

"Please," she said, rising from her seat, all professionalism set aside for the moment as she noted that her working hours had ended and she could act in a way she deemed fit. She could not quite remember the route to Malhotra Mansion and even if she did, her exhausted state would hinder her driving.

A petrified voice at the back of her head warned her of the consequences of being alone with Daksh Malhotra. The more confident part of her wanted to flaunt her newfound courage and the control she had of the situation.

Her request surprised him, but he did not let that surprise hinder his reaction time. He jumped to his feet and opened the door for Asmita.

"Don't act like a gentleman, Mr. Malhotra. Because you have proven on over one occasion, you aren't."

Her sarcastic drawl made his skin crawl. Her icy cold eyes made her disdain clear for him and warded away any hope of striving to light up in his heart.

He could not bring himself to utter anything because he knew that she had said nothing but the truth. He was solely responsible for Asmita's behavior towards him. Determined to change her views about him, he took the driver's seat.

"No arguments, Mr. Malhotra? Nothing like 'do I look like a driver'?" she asked, as she reminded him of his past self.

He looked at her through the mirror, accepting her glare with humility.

"No. I am ready to accept whatever you decide," he said.

Asmita rolled her eyes and let out an exasperated sigh before she opened her phone and browsed through it. She knew Daksh thrived on attention and she had no intention to cater to his needs.

____________________________________

Malhotra Mansion,

Asmita tried to ignore the surroundings of Malhotra Mansion, which reminded her of the day she had arrived as his bride, almost forced upon and shattered by his actions. The mere sight of Sunita proved to be just the distraction she needed.

It took aback Sunita to see her childhood friend, but she began walking to her in the longest strides she could manage.

"SUNITA!" she almost shouted as she took her sister-like friend into a tight embrace. It has been eight long years since someone had enveloped her in such affectionate warmth. It was by her choice, but it was in that moment of warmth that she realized how much she had missed.

"I am so sorry, Asmita. You didn't have to do it! You didn't have to make that sacrifice for me. I am sorry. I could do nothing for you," said Sunita, who finally got the right channel to vent her guilt.

"It was not your mistake, Sunita. I know you would have done the same if you were in my place. You were just a puppet in someone's hands," said Asmita, her accusing gaze darting towards Daksh, who could not meet her eyes.

She pulled out of the embrace and wiped Sunita's tears. Over the years of experience as a therapist, she had grown to be more immune to the tears of other's tears, but she knew that if Sunita continued to cry for longer in front of her, her experience would lay forgotten. She did not want to showcase her vulnerable side in front of Daksh. It was bad enough that she had a panic attack in front of him.

"Forget that, Sunita! Let's not ruin our mood over something which was not the fault of either of us! How are you? How is your married life? How is Jiju?" she asked, trying to change the topic to something which, she thought, would make Sunita happy.

"You are here after years and you think I will make you stand near the threshold and talk! No ways, let's go inside and talk," said Sunita, making the familiar fear in Asmita come back.

Rooms of Amit and Daksh were beside each other, and she could feel shudders running down her spine at the mere thought of venturing into that territory.

"Um, Sunita, can we sit out somewhere and talk?" she said, hoping that Sunita gets the cue.

While Sunita considered it as her choice, it was Daksh who had got the cue. He realized she wanted to avoid the area in which he lived, considering the fact that it held only the darker memories of her life.

"Sure, let's go to the garden!" said Sunita, as she guided Asmita towards the garden. It brought upon immense relief to Asmita as the mere feeling of being surrounded by the walls of Malhotra Mansion was making her claustrophobic.

Will Daksh be successful in erasing her pain with his own?

_________________________________________________

I don't think anyone, except parents, have the responsibility to uplift some human being. No one deserves to be used as a tool for personality development of some flawed human, and definitely not of a molester like Daksh Malhotra.

So, Asmita met Sunita after years. What do you think will happen? Please VOTE and COMMENT!