Chapter 11: Inure

Inure (v.) To accept or grow accustomed to something undesirable.

Arabella's P.O.V.

After leaving Nicolo's office, I wandered through the halls to try and find Alexander. I needed answers from him. I wanted to know the truth. Could it be possible? I thought to myself, thinking about the many years that I have spent alone.

My blood connected me to a syndicate of dangerous people, but my heart beat rapidly when the thought of having a sibling crossed my mind. I was not sure how to feel with the thought of this; I felt delighted to possibly have someone I could call family, after I have lost mine years ago, but at the same time I felt troubled and angry that we have been kept away from each other for so long.

Why would my parents keep us separated? Why did it take twenty-three years for us to meet? My mind was filled with hundreds of questions, but I came to a stop when I saw Alexander sitting in the kitchen and I began to take deep breaths once I made my way towards him.

"The photographs in my locket are not of my parents," I spoke aloud while my heart began to race.

"They're pictures of us from when we were younger," I said and eyed Alexander carefully as he stared back at me with his lips pressed into a line.

"The engravings on the back are not my initials," I continued, slowly closing the distance between us.

"They're letters that stand for our names," I finished and seated myself beside him.

"And your eyes," I observed while gazing into his blue orbs.

"They're the same as mom's," he said, confirming my surmise. I nodded as a tear slid down my cheek and I smiled at him while I started to remember her beautiful eyes. Just like mom's, I thought to myself.

"I carry those exact photographs with me. You are my sister, Arabella," he said and opened his wallet to reveal the same pictures that I have always kept within my necklace.

"Why did they keep us apart?" I managed to ask between unsteadied breaths.

"There are many things that you don't know and there are answers that I cannot give you," he said quietly.

"Our parents are dead, and I have been alone for so long," I said and looked at him with tears streaming down my face.

"I know Arabella, it's alright. You have me, we have each other now. I'll always be here for you," he whispered into my hair while embracing me in a hug.

I laid my head against his shoulder and for the first time in many years I felt at peace. I no longer felt envious of the children who were brought to the parks by their mother, or of the old couples who roamed around the city together, or the people that sat with their family members at restaurants, instead, I felt content. Although I had met Alexander a few days ago, I felt glad that I had him as my brother. I now have someone to call family. I am no longer alone.

I took a deep breath as I tried to control my breathing and my eyes trailed over Alexander's hand that rested upon the counter. A beautiful piece of art caught my attention, and I brought my fingertips towards his wrist, lightly tracing over the black ink.

"You have a tattoo of an eagle," I spoke softly.

"Everyone in the Aetos Family has one," he smiled

"Will I have to get one too?" I asked, becoming curious of the traditions in the Greek mafia.

"Only if you want to," he chuckled lightly, and I smiled as I heard his laughter.

"I have to go back to Greece to handle some business," he said, breaking the silence between us.