Unknowingly Heard

Third Person POV:

      Kinkajou was camouflaged on top of a boulder, eyeing the logs burnt to crisps, not one trace of leaves left over. It turned out that only parts of the Rainforest were burned, but it was a lot of damage. The RainWings all agreed going back into the actual "forest" part of the forest was too risky, because the NightWings would be searching for them.

      They would be using the trees as cover from other tribes. Other tribes- why, they probably didn't even know anything was wrong in this part of Pyrrhia! Kinkajou bitterly pictured SeaWings flashing in aquatic, cheerfully swimming around with not a care in the world. With no idea how messed up this part of the continent was. She pictured the SandWings isolated in their desert, her MudWing neighbors who were probably too invested in the war to realize what happened. She pictured IceWings having no idea their enemy tribe moved closer to them, to a perfect place to attack. She pictured the SkyWings, too concerned with their new queen to even think about another tribe.

      She pictured Glory, who probably had no idea she failed.

      Kinkajou sighed and walked down the boulder quietly. She looked up at the moons that were shining, which she had seen Glory do a few times. It made her seem wiser, calmer, but it didn't help Kinkajou at all. There was no miracle way to be Glory, no quick ticket to being epic.

      Kinkajou shook her head and turned to the horizon, where the silhouette of trees captured her attention. Trees. The forest.

      Kinkajou hesitated. RainWing missions into the trees were quick, just to get some fruits to survive on and leave. But that was when multiple dragons went in at once, and she was just one tiny dragonet. Plus, if the NightWings caught her, she wouldn't be risking the safety of the rest of her tribe: just herself.

      Kinkajou made sure she was still camouflaged and ran into the woods. She felt the difference immediately when the moonlight was dimmed by the trees' shadows. Sharp sticks and rocks littered the floor, and rotten fruits threatened to make her slip into the muddy ground. It was awesome!

      With a smile on her face for the first time in a long time, Kinkajou ran, breathing deeply. She tried not to make much noise, especially as she knew NightWings would be awake around now.

      Kinkajou slowed as she reached a big tree, and she suddenly had little flashbacks. She used to sneak away every now and then, and this had been one of her favorite trees to climb.

      There was no thinking, no contemplation, no hesitation. She was climbing the trunk in two seconds, curling contentedly into a little ball on one of the branches. There, she slowed her fast breathing, and closed her eyes, of course remaining camouflaged. She felt like a dragonet again. Not a queen, not someone with big responsibilities resting in such tiny claws. She felt free.

      For a minute she sat there, calming down, when she picked up a distant noise.

      Kinkajou opened her eyes and raised her head, and the noise came nearer. She quickly realized it was a voice, a quiet one.

      She tensed, wondering if she should run. But the voice seemed to not want to be heard, so Kinkajou figured (in case it was a scheming NightWing) that she should eavesdrop.

      Tilting her head, Kinkajou leaned forward and strained her ears to hear what the dragon was saying.

      A young female voice was speaking. "-I- I just- Death... I need to speak with you."

      Kinkajou stiffened: was this who she thought it was?

      A male voice answered, "I know. That's why you pulled me here, was it not?" There was amusement in the dragon's tone.