Chapter Fifteen

Miles peered over and nodded. "It is. I suppose no one has been giving him casseroles, since his relationship with Nell wasn't public."

Myrtle said, "We can talk to him on the way over to the cat food aisle."

Miles balked. "Approaching him in the grocery store? He's just lost someone really close to him. He might not feel much like talking."

"All the better to offer our condolences." Myrtle walked toward the canned meats with great determination. Miles gave a small sigh and hurried to keep up, pushing the cart as he followed.

Myrtle said, "Edward?"

Edward turned around sharply, apparently deep in his thoughts. He slumped a little when he saw Myrtle. "Hello there," he said in a resigned voice.

"I'm so sorry about Nell. She was a wonderful lady," said Myrtle.

Miles said, "Sorry about this." He might have been speaking about Nell or about the fact that they were pestering Edward in a grocery store.

Edward said, "No, it's all right. Actually, I'm glad I ran into you. I heard you were the ones who found her, right? The police wouldn't give me any information, and I was hoping that you could."

Myrtle and Miles exchanged a look. Myrtle said, "She didn't suffer at all." She crossed her fingers because she doubted that was actually the case. "And she obviously let whoever it was in. It must have been someone she knew because the door was open. That's how Miles and I went in. We're just very sorry." Myrtle hoped that this small amount of information was enough for Edward to stop asking questions. Although it certainly wasn't much.

Edward, though, took Myrtle's assurances that Nell hadn't suffered like a man being offered a lifeboat. Relief spread over his features. "That's good to hear, Myrtle. Thanks. I'm just devastated over this. I've been very busy lately, and I hadn't seen Nell for the last couple of days." His eyes clouded over and got a bit misty. He blinked them furiously, and the mist dissipated.

Myrtle was relieved. The last thing she wanted to do was to try to bolster up an emotional old man. She said, "You've been busy?"

Miles gave her a repressive look. Her tone reflected her incredulity instead of coming across as a straight question.

Edward heard it too. "Yes. Now, I've taken breaks from my busyness. You've seen me on breaks."

Miles hopped in. "I suppose Nell likely wanted some space after her sister's unexpected death?"

Edward gave him a grateful look. "Yes. That's it. That's it, exactly. You know how some people are—they want to lick their wounds in private. Naturally, I saw Nell right after I got word about what happened to Pearl, but after that, I gave her some space to try and absorb what had happened."

Myrtle said, "Did you talk with her on the phone at all?"

Edward shook his head. "No. I'd told her that I'd see her at Pearl's funeral. That's the last I heard from her. I was waiting for the funeral before I saw her again. Then there'd be a little closure, and I figured maybe she'd be ready to spend some time with other people."

"As it happens, I've been looking for a new car. Well, a new used car," said Myrtle. "I've spoken with Boone."

Edward's face reddened. Myrtle gave him a wary look. The other thing she didn't need was to have an old guy have a heart attack right in front of her.

He said in a combative tone, "What did Boone have to say about all this? About Nell?"

Miles stepped in again since he seemed to have a calming effect on Edward. "He didn't say anything bad at all. He thought maybe it was a burglary gone wrong. He couldn't imagine who could possibly have wanted to murder Nell."