Chapter 2: A Typical Day

I wake up the next morning at 5am. The birds are chirping and I can hear my mother's car leave the garage. I climb down from the tree house and go to the back door I came out last night. I open the door and stumble in. I still feel a little dizzy so I decide to go lay down again. I pull my covers over me and fall right asleep.

******

My alarm clock wakes me up at 7am for school. As usual, I get ready and head out for another uneventful day at school.

"Don't think about him again, Aaron. You need to pretend to be okay," I say to myself to make a mental note. I know this won't work, but really what will work? I'm starting to think that the only time all these thoughts will stop is when I'm dead. Being dead is sounding better and better these days. I mean like father like son, right? What the fuck ever.

I get to school and get to my usual group of friends.

My best friend Brett pats my back and says, "What's up, Aaron?"

"Nothing much, man."

My other friend Matt says, "Hey Parker, are you coming to the party this weekend?"

Matt calls me Parker because that's my last name. I'm not really sure what the point of calling me by my last name is, but he does it a lot.

"Ah man, when is it? Shit I don't even know what day today is," they laugh. I wish I were joking.

"It's Thursday today, but tomorrow is the beginning of spring break. So the party is tomorrow."

"Oh yeah, I spaced it. I'll come; I’ll stay over tonight and help you guys set up."

"Yeah sounds good. I was probably going to ask you to help anyways," he laughs.

The bell rings and we all go our separate ways to first period. I have first period with Brett, which makes it better. Brett and I have been friends since we were kids. We've been through a lot together and I trust him. All my friends know about my dad, but none of them know about how it affects me. I don't like to talk about my problems because that just makes me seem weak. Whenever I go to Brett's his dad treats me like his own son. That's partially what helps me through my days. If it weren’t for Brett and his family I probably would have dropped out of school completely. I don’t let them know how I really am dealing with all of this. I can’t let anyone in. I can't let anyone affect me like my dad did again. Well there I go again spacing out in school thinking about something that shouldn't even be fucking thought about. Shit, I hate myself so much for doing this.

I stop zoning out and hear the teacher say we have a project. She's assigning us partners. Just my luck I don't get Brett. I get Matt's twin sister Lauren. Lauren is 5'5, dirty blonde long hair, hazel eyes, and naturally pretty. Lauren and Matt are fraternal twins, so they don't look exactly alike. I've only talked to Lauren a couple times, but she's smart just like Matt. I'm slightly dreading this, but gotta do what you gotta do.

The rest of the day is uneventful since it's the day before break and the only class that I had to do anything for was English.

I get into my car and take a deep breath. I can just feel the thoughts coming back. I can feel the depression gripping a tight hold on my neck. I sit there for a few minutes trying to gather my thoughts enough to drive when I hear a knock on my car window. It's Lauren. She probably saw that, fucking fantastic. I take another deep breath, smile, and roll the window down.

"What can I do for you Lauren?" I force a smile out, while gritting my teeth trying to not let her see my anger.

"I was coming to see when you want to work on the project?" She looked apologetically. Without another word I get out of the car, walk to the passenger side door and open it for her. She questioningly looks at me, but gets in anyway. I guess I won't be getting in a few hours of drinking before going to Matt's house then.