The Gift

"What's she doing here?" Crash asks as they find Olson and Lilly in the Lobby of his apartment building. "She's here to help." Olson says.

"We don't trust her." Jane snarls.

"I know, but we need her, I need you to trust me on this." Olson steps in front of Lilly.

"If it weren't for her Belle would be here." Crash pumps his shotgun. Lilly walks out from behind Olson. "I didn't think anyone would get hurt, I didn't know Risser would be there. I'm sorry about your friend and I'm sorry you have to deal with me again but you do. I can help you, I'm the only one who can. You have to trust me or you're all going to die."

Jane turns to Anne. "You said Olson would help us, is this what you meant? With her?"

Anne shuffles uncomfortably, she walks to Lilly and puts her hands on her face. She turns back to Jane. "Yeah, she wants to help."

"Good. Let's go."

..........................

Nathan, beaten and bloody spits at Rissers feet. "You can do better than that." He says. Risser picks him up by the throat. "I can do better, but this is more fun." He replies and throws Nathan into the concrete wall of a nearby building, the windows explode as he smashes into it. Risser suddenly feels a sting at his back. A police officer takes cover behind a car, terrified. The gun flies out of his hands, Risser walks to him and puts his hand over the man's face. The man screams as Risser sucks the life from him. Risser stretches his arms out feeling more empowered. The officer falls dead, his eyes white and empty.

Nathan stands. "Can't you leave them out of this- these humans don't have power like we do."

"Exactly, they don't belong with here with us. We are the Titans, they should scatter and shake at the sight of us. You should be by my side, not against me."

Nathans wipes the blood from his lips. The taste of iron thick on his tongue. "Yeah well, maybe I should, I mean, who- or whatever created me sure didn't see it fit to make me as strong as you. Even before you sucked the power from Or you were stronger and faster than I could ever be. Yeah I admit it. Every time we face off I get my ass kicked. So yeah, what would you say if I told you screw it, I'll join your team? Seriously what would you say?" Nathan spits more blood onto the sidewalk and bends over catching his breath.

"Well," Risser starts, "...up until a few days ago I'd say we would have had some sort of initiation, random beheading in the street or mystical murder, something to show your loyalty, then probably a strawberry cake to celebrate. But that was before you killed my little sister."

"Ah well, live and learn." Nathan says as he rushes Risser, his hand hammering down, all his might behind it. Risser starts to dodge but Nathan is able to hit his shoulder. Risser hisses in pain and frustration- He lifts his leg and releases it into the middle of Nathan's chest. Nathan flies. He finds that he's landed inside a car facing the ceiling. His head scratched by the broken glass, blood drops into his eyes and for a moment he is completely blind. Risser grabs him and throws him to the street.

"Alright," Risser says looking at the broken Nathan, "We've had enough fun, it's time you go see my sister, I'm betting she's in hell waiting for you with a pitchfork and knife." He goes to Nathan picking him up by the shirt. He cocks his arms back but before he can land the final blow, a voice from behind him interrupts.

"Put him down." Jane steps into the street. Risser let's him drop to the floor. "You're not supposed to be here, I'm not really supposed to kill you, my brother wants you all pretty for the end."

"Don't worry you're not going to kill me."

"Oh little girl you have no idea what you're up against, the power in me right now... it's beyond anything you've ever seen."

"Trying compensate for something?"

"I'm really not supposed to kill you..." Risser contemplates.

Nathan looks up at Jane through bloody eyes. "What're you doing here? I told you-"

"You told me you'd stall him and you did, it's my turn now." She says throws a three punch combo at Risser, he blocks effortlessly.

He picks her up and brings her down on his knee. Jane coughs the blow away. Rissser punches her across the face. Nathan tackles him from behind. "Cheap." Risser says falling to the ground.

Around the corner and out of their view, Morphy, Anne and Crash kneel on the road, they are carefully putting goofer dust in a pattern.

"Come on you guys can do this I should be out there-" Crash starts but is interrupted.

"No! It has to be perfectly precise." Morphy says packing the dust in a neat pile and sliding it down into a perfect semi circle, "Also if you went out there he'd kill you, so stay." Lilly steps inside the circle and sits. "When they're here you'll have to be quick." She tells Olson who paces with the book of spells. He nods.

"Why does he have to do it?" Crash asks.

"It's a duel incantation spell, I'll say my words from within the circle, he says the others from outside of it." Lilly responds. Somewhere around the corner someone crashes through a window. "We have to hurry they won't last long."

Anne finishes the last bit of the dust and stands, "I've ever heard of a spell needing a duel incantation and a perfectly precise design like this." She says worried.

"That's because no one's really supposed to do this spell. Go get them, I'm ready."

Crash peaks out from behind the building, Jane lies on the street, crawling her way to the sidewalk. Crash runs and grabs her, he pulls her around the corner- Risser who fights Nathan sees this and takes off toward them. "No you don't!"

Crash places the wrecked Jane into the circle with Lilly who lays her hand on Jane's heart. Jane lies bleeding from all sides, her pulse beats slow, almost not at all. Risser rounds the corner- seeing the group and Lilly at the circle he stops dead in his tracks. "What is this?"

"Your stop." Crash says behind him and kicks Risser into the circle, off balance, Risser falls toward Lilly, he stops himself with one hand inside the circle. "You-" He starts, but before he can say any more she puts her hand on his chest and speaks an ancient incantation as Olson does the same. Risser feels it, he is unable to move, to breathe as Lilly sucks the power from his core and transfers it into Jane's. Risser screams as his eyes burn and bones break, as everything he is, is given to someone else and he is made a gift. Jane convulses. Risser drops, hollowed, empty, dead.

Jane opens her eyes. Glowing blue. She stands, more than a Slayer. Powerful beyond measure. She walks to the bridge where her brother waits for her.