Chapter 5 - JOANNA

Joanna the cleaning lady came in three times a week to help Fanny with the chores and to do some cooking. As Fanny also worked part-time she found it hard to look after a house, a husband, four children, and a dog without some help. Joanna was quite young, only in her mid 20's, and she got on well with the children so it worked out well for all of them. Fanny and Quentin liked Joanna and they trusted her. She worked hard and she was a very good cook too. 

Fanny was perturbed one morning to find an item of her jewelry, a necklace, missing from the jewelry box in her bedroom. She gathered her husband, children, and Roland together to tell them about it

''I am not accusing anyone of stealing it'' she said ''well I know none of you would do that. Maybe I just misplaced it somewhere so just keep a lookout for it won't you? I'll also tell Joanna to keep a look for it when she comes''

Later on, Fanny was alone with Quentin and she felt very troubled ''You know I can't stop thinking about this necklace going missing. I am sure it was there yesterday night, so how can it just disappear like that?''

''Well I didn't take it love and I know Roland wouldn't have''

''I hate to think this but could one of the children have taken it?''

''I doubt it. Well definitely not Dick or Anne, those two are good kids and very honest''

''What about Julian and Georgina then?''

''I'd say it's more likely with those two. They are angry about being grounded and might have taken it to get back at us''

''Should we ask them if one of them took it?''

''Do you think they would own up though?''

''I don't know. We could search their bedrooms for it. I hate thinking it could be one of the kids though I really do''

''If it wasn't one of the kids who else could it be?''

''Well there is only Joanna who was here yesterday but surely she wouldn't take it would she? She is such a nice young lady and we've known her for a long time. I trust her and I just can't imagine she would steal from us''

''Then it was either Julian or Georgina I say''

The two teenagers were summoned before their parents and questioned about it but they both denied it and felt angry

''You'll both be grounded for a lot longer than a month unless one of you owns up and hands the necklace back now'' Quentin told them

''Look, dad, please why are you so sure one of us took it?'' Julian said almost in tears ''Why not Dick or Anne?''

''Neither of those two would have done it you know that, they are too well-behaved for it. You two have not been so well behaved and you have been mad at us lately we know that''

''Doesn't mean we steal from you, how unfair of you to accuse us like this and threaten us with extra punishment'' George said

''Ok we'll do this the hard way, now you're both going to be grounded for 3 months unless one of you owns up and gives the necklace back''

The two teenagers looked at their father with horror on their faces

''3 months?.....ah dad please, that's insane'' Julian whined

''3 months unless one of you has the courage to own up and give it back''

The two of them left the room very subdued and went and sat together in Julian's bedroom

''3 months, this is insane'' Julian said ''I didn't take the wretched necklace''

''Neither did I'' George said