Chapter 1: The Storm

A small room filled with nothing but notebooks and art, and these figurines won't just bore me no matter how long I look. My homework just keep piling up. Damn, my schedule's getting worse day by day.

As I pick up my bag, the sound of the band keeps on distracting the hell out of me. There is a festival outside my doorsteps, yet I have to endure the noise to attend my university classes.

It is somehow surprising that this apartment has been standing for over 40 years, as the landlady said. My room is located at the fourth floor, a reason to discipline myself from doing useless walks and focus only on studying.

Going down the stairs, I saw a fellow tenant living next room, Ms. Sline. We have known each other since I moved here two years ago. I took my breath slowly and waved my hand to say hello.

"Good morning, Zack! What's the rush?" she happily asked the question while holding a pile of books in her hand.

I guess I forgot to introduce myself. I am Zack Araiz, and this is how I live my life, alone.

For starters, Ms. Sline is a professor in Hail University. It is known as one of the greatest institutions in fields of science and technology. With that, Ms. Sline has the reputation of being a strict and perfectionist teacher, but my eyes says otherwise.

"Good morning, Ms. Sline." I replied, looking at my steps.

Both of us started walking, matching our pace for a conversation.

"I wanted to finish that homework you sent us yesterday, but the band is so loud, I can't even think straight."

She smirked. I'm pretty sure she knows I get distracted easily.

"Oh dear, I am very sure you hated every second of it." she laughed and raised her hands, placing it above my shoulders. She smiled while asking, "Want to walk together to school?"

She is the closest person I can call my mother. Of course, I couldn't say no. Plus, there's nothing to do anyway. I don't have to go to a game store to buy the new releases from last week. Studies really take away your time.

I nodded my head. Looking at her, she seems to radiate an aura of happiness in her smile. "What could go wrong?" is what you would think right now.

We stepped outside the apartment to see the bustling streets of Ballad. As we walk, we found ourselves far from the sound of the band. This city is a large place, and public events tend to cover every corners of this community.

"Ms. Sline! Zack!" a familiar voice was heard from our back.

"Oh, Cleonne!" Ms. Sline surprisingly said.

I felt myself smile, seeing my bestfriend running towards us. Cleonne Naviss, one of the top students in all of Hail University. A fit and healthy person, above average in sports and academics, he is also the president of the university council leading the whole student body. Two years ago, entering the school for the first time was a bliss for I prefer to be alone with myself, but this person just ruined it. Not that I hated it anyway.

"What's up, Cleonne." I went to Cleonne and made a fist bump.

"'Sup Zack!" he leaned closer to my ear and whispered, "Give me your answers later!"

Ah, yes. His answers in our homework always came from me, and what I'm impressed is he managed to take over two whole years without having any issues. Maybe he's good at words. He got the looks, and he's friendly. I can't be like him. I will never be like him. But, he's a good friend is all I can say.

"Alright, alright. Don't tell anyone okay?" I whispered back.

He winked as we continued moving.

Thirty minutes after, we finally arrived at the university. The chattering of the students induces calmness in your mind. This is the only noise I can accept. A place full of knowledge is a place that keeps me in check.