Chapter 11

"Declan," I called wearily down the hall so he'd come to the bedroom. I really didn't want to have this conversation in front of a bunch of strangers. I was worried. I knew they'd be coming for me, but I didn't think it'd hit me this hard.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" He rushed over to me to peek at what I was staring out. He read it over and over until it hit him too. He didn't react the way I did; instead he just wrapped me in a hug for support. He wasn't going anywhere, I told myself. "Everything is going to be okay. We knew this was coming. You just have to stay strong, okay?"

"What's done is done." I tried to shrug it off even though I knew it wasn't going to be that easy this time around. It felt like I instantly became paranoid of everyone and everything around me. I tried to call my thoughts and return to my couldn't care less attitude, but I knew it wasn't going to be that simple.

Declan just held me for a moment in a tight embrace. He didn't try to say anything else though. I was thankful for that because I felt like I needed to sort out my own thoughts before dealing with his or anyone else's.

His phone interrupted us and started beeping, which meant he had a new message. He pulled away giving me a look filled with regret. I just nodded telling him I'd be fine, because that was the truth. No one was going to come in and kidnap me in a split second while he stepped away. I was going to be okay, I chanted to myself. 

My phone started sounding off . I dreaded another text from one of the Aberwood's, but realized they didn't have access to my new line. There was no way for them to know how to contact me besides bombarding my old line. I picked up the phone and saw that it was Ericson. I wondered how he got my number, but briefly dismissed the thought. 

"Hey Charlie, how are you holding up?" Ericson gave me a sympathetic smile when the picture finally focused. I hadn't really expected to hear from Ericson. It was still a pretty awkward situation we were in. 

"I'm feeling pretty loved. I got ahold of transcripts from my old line and and feel really popular. Apparently everyone wants to be my friend now." I laughed uncomfortably. If I was going to be apart of this I couldn't cower away from every little thing. 

"I can't imagine why," He chuckled before continuing. "Don't put too much thought into it. I'm sure the Aberwood's are exhausting all their resources trying to intimidate you." 

"Yeah, Mrs. Aberwood sent me a kind text after the interview saying to watch my back." I got cold chills thinking of the potential threat. I'd grown up privileged. Never in a million years would I have guessed I'd be working for a secret agency to stop terrorists.

"Good, they're threatened. They don't have a leg to stand on right now. They will be swamped for weeks with a media frenzy on top of a massive legal battle, so realistically they don't pose as much of a threat." Ericson reassured me confidently. "But we aren't going to take any risks as far as your safety is concerned. You'll do one more show and then go into hiding."

"Wait, what do you mean one more show? I have to do another interview?" To think I was already under the impression that I was in hiding. 

"Yes, headquarters has arranged everything. You'll do an interview and the footage will be released to the highest bidder. They will air the interview and then the rights will be released for anyone to use the interview footage." He explained to me briefly.

"Wait, who would want to buy the footage when it'll be free within a couple days?" I asked as if it was a no brainer.

"Everyone wants to break your story, Charlie. They want the exclusive details first." He explained. It seemed surreal to think that people would pay big money for exclusive about me.