Drinking Habits (Laxana)

A/N: This one goes out to @dimah_shabo. It's been a long time coming, but we're back. Hope you enjoy!

A large thud echoed through the guild hall as an empty barrel was dropped onto the ground. The culprit, Cana Alberona, was sitting atop the bar at Fairy Tail with a bright smile on her face. What more could she ask for? It was a good day and she finished a good drink. The only thing that would be better was to have another. Macao glanced at her from his seat next to her and shook his head disapprovingly.

"How about you dial back on the drinks and get a job instead?"

"Lay off, why don't you." The brunette waved him off and set her newest barrel down on the bar counter. Annoyed with his pestering, she slid off the smooth surface of the old bar and sauntered over to the Job Board. There were only two postings left so she randomly snatched a paper off the board and turned around. "There. Happy now?"

A looming shadow stood behind Cana and she turned around in surprise, only to see Laxus behind her with his arms crossed. "That job was mine."

Cana shrugged her shoulders. "Well, I didn't see your name on it so..."

"Give me the paper and choose the other one."

"No."

"Cana, I'm not going to argue with you."

"Perfect, Laxus, because I wasn't planning to."

Mirajane watched the two from behind the bar with a small tilt of her head before smiling as she cleaned a glass. "Why don't the both of you go together? It's better to go in teams anyway."

Before Cana could respond, Laxus saw his opportunity and snatched the worn piece of paper out of her hands. As she tried to take it from him, he held it above her head just out of her reach. Not wanting to dance around him like a little bunny, she settled on kicking his shin, causing Laxus to grunt in pain.

"Don't you have a team?" Cana crossed her arms.

Laxus rubbed his shin with a small grimace. "They're off right now."

"All the more reason for you two to go." Mirajane smiled. "I'll let Master know the two of you will be teaming up today."

■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

The nature of their job was simple; find a suspect and turn them into the authorities. It was a few towns over so they had to take a train. Cana begrudgingly claimed the window seat and closed her eyes so Laxus wouldn't try to talk to her. For some reason, his presence really annoyed her and it was probably because not only did he try to steal her job, but now she was stuck with him.

"You didn't have to come with me if you didn't want to." Laxus tried to relax in the seat next to her. "I would have rather walked."

Glancing over in his direction, she huffed. "It should be the other way around because this was my job first. SInce it's my job, I say we ride the train."

As the train started to move, the two were sitting so close that Cana could feel Laxus tense up against her. The male took in a deep breath and she analyzed this before putting two and two together. How could she forget that he was a Dragon Slayer? She was so irritated with him that she wasn't thinking. Served him right though... Raising an eyebrow, she sat up to look at him, feeling a little guilty regardless. "Oh crap... Are you going to be okay?"

"I'm fine."

His face didn't match his words. He had his eyes closed and he was a little pale, but he refused to move an inch. Amused by his adamant denial, she leaned forward into his face just to tease him. The blond opened his eyes only to find a pair of large violet ones staring back at him. For a moment, it seemed like his motion sickness had gone away as all he could focus on was the warmth radiating from her skin and how long her eyelashes were.