Chapter 3

"So what made you decide to become a pirate?" I called from the deck of the ship. Newgate was checking our course and glanced at me. Hopefully I looked better in the outfit that we had bought a few islands ago. My ebony hair tied back in a red bandana, showing off my doll like face and gave more depth to my unusually pink orbs; a shirt that tied together in the front at my breasts but had long sleeves that exposed my shoulders and my toned torso. My shorts were held up with a red belt that had a little bit of bling. I shifted slightly and moved my hair out of my face, awaiting his answer. He walked over to the steering wheel as I joined him, sitting on the railing. "I want a family." He explained in a soft but longing voice. I looked at him, studying him as he went on to explain "I want to take care of those rejected by their own families." "That is really sweet of you." I glanced up at the beautiful night sky. It had been almost a month since I had joined Newgate on my ship as a pirate. I kicked my legs slightly "As a little girl I had always dreamed of adventure. It seemed like the ocean was always calling- begging for me to sail on the water." I looked back at Newgate "But due to my leg, my dream was always shot down." He frowned "What is wrong with your leg?" "Some kind of muscle problem? It'll give out on me completely if I use it too much." I pointed to her right knee "It will lock up and make it impossible for me to walk." I hated to lie to my Captain but I didn't want pity. My entire village always went out of their way to beat me senseless. The island had seen me as the devil's spawn, maybe it was a good thing that I became a navy solider. He nodded "I see why people told you that it would be an issue." "You don't think I am a burden, do you?" I asked him, waiting for his honest answer. He chuckled before laughing out loud. I was taken aback by his sudden loudness "What's so funny?" "Without you, I would still be stuck on your island, probably at the hands of the Navy." He told me "I really appreciate your help, Kairi." I blushed lightly before I let out a soft breath "How much longer until we reach the next island?"
"Tomorrow morning we should see the island on the horizon." Newgate took a seat and grabbed his sake that had been sitting out of sight. He took a few swings and relaxed "It's a peaceful night," He looked at me and held out his bottle "Why don't you take a few celebratory swigs?" "Celebratory?" I asked him as I hopped down from the railing and over to take the beer from my Captain. "Celebrating our ship, you joining the crew, escaping the Navy alive..." He trailed off as I understood his point. I didn't want to admit as a singer I had never drank before. I glanced at the bottle a bit nervous before I gave a hardened look and proceeded to chug what was left of the bottle. I pulled it away from my mouth and gagged before coughing loudly "How do you drink this stuff??" Newgate laughed loudly at my reaction "First bottle?" I blushed in embarrassment, "N-no, just been a while." My pride didn't want to admit that he was correct. "I guess I will grab you a replacement." I turned away from the chuckling man and walked down the stairs to make my way into the kitchen. I opened the fridge and began to look for another sake. I pulled out a couple and shut the fridge before staring at the second bottle. I felt flustered that Newgate laughed over my first bottle. I opened the two bottles and began to drink down the nasty tasting liquid.

No pov
Newgate had been sitting peacefully in his seat behind the ship's wheel. He was lost in thought for a while before he realized that Kairi had disappeared over thirty minutes ago to get more sake and had yet to return. He stood and headed down the stairs "Kairi?" He glanced around the deck, not seeing anyone in sight. He turned to the kitchen and walked inside, flipping on the light to see a drunk Kairi sitting next to the fridge. She swayed slightly before she glanced up at see a shocked looking Newgate. "Ooooooohhhhhhhh hi, Capdain!" She grinned at him, waving the last bottle of sake in one hand and a smaller cup in the other. "Ifoundthesake!" Her usually soft tone was overshadowed with her shouting as if the two were in a place with loud music and he couldn't hear her. Her words slurred together quickly as she set down the bottle on the ground, using it as a prop, and struggled to stand up from the floor. "Heeey, what going on?" She glared at the floor as if it was holding her in place. "I wanna stand!" She hiccuped and slowly began to tip over on her side. Newgate shook off his initial shock and made his way over to her "I think you've had enough." He grabbed the bottle and pried it from her fingers and set it on the counter away from her. "Nooooo!" She began to pout like a young child "Giveback!" "Kairi, no." He shook his head no and reached over to grab a glass to fill it up with water "You're completely drunk." He turned back to her and held out the glass of water. She stared at it and then looked up at him, "Ed...ward..." He waited to see what else would come out of her mouth. She glanced down at the ground, playing with the red belt around her pants, and mumbled something he couldn't quite make out.
"Huh?" He questioned, wondering if she would repeat herself. It was strange to see the usually strong-headed woman act like a child who didn't get their way after drinking who knows how much sake. "...like you..." She mumbled a bunch of words, her legs moving a bit as if she was nervous. He squatted down in front of her and gentle lifted her chin up to look at him, "Are you ready for water?" He asked her in a gentle tone. Her cheeks were rosey from all the sake in her system. "Nooo!" She giggled "Iwantsake!" She pointed at the bottle out of her reach. He thought for a second before turning around and, making sure she couldn't see, pretending to pour her a glass of sake. "Okay, here you go." He turned back around and handed her the glass of water. She clapped her hands together and gave an excited squeal "YAY!" She jerked the glass out of his hand, spilling some of the water, before tossing it back as if it was a shot. Newgate shook his head before he picked up his first mate and began to carry her to her own room, "I think it's time for you to go to sleep." He tried to ignore the fact that her butt was now close to his face and frowned slightly at his own dirty mind. "There!" She squealed and grabbed at the doorframe to Newgate's room "Soft!" She pointed at his bed, which was no different than hers. "No, that's my room." He tried to take her into her own room. She began to flail around in his hold "THRRE!" She shouted and pushed at his back, trying to get down. He shifted as her legs began to swing around "Ow!" He almost accidentally dropped her as her shin made contact with his nose. He pulled his hand back from his face to see Kairi wiggling around like a fish out of water in his grasp. He chuckled at her actions and she huffed at him, "Dontlaugh a-at me!" He shifted her from his shoulder to his chest, "You move like a fish out of water." He cleared his throat as she moved her arms around his neck to steady herself, "I am noooooot a fishy." She poked at his cheek, leaning far too close to his face. In the low lighting of the oil lantern, her pink eyes seemed to sparkle with mischief and he swallowed the small lump that had gathered in the back of his throat. "Why are you giving me that look?" She didn't answer him but her hands began to carefully travel over his face and then down towards his chest, "You sure do have a lot of muscles." She had this strange lopsided grin. "Why don't we go lay down and get more acquainted with each other?" Her tone very suggestive. "I don't-." He started before Kairi placed her finger against his lips to stop him, "Then why don't we just lay down?" He shrugged and walked over to his own room, placing her down on his bed before going to throw down the anchor so the Moby didn't just drift off into rough waters. He tied up the sails on the mast and then made his way back to his room to see Kairi already sprawled out, claiming his pillow. He gave her an annoyed look before moving her over to the other side of the large bed. He let her have the pillow and just opted for his arm as a pillow, his other hand resting on his stomach. He stared at the wooden ceiling as Kairi shifted over next to him. He thought about their journey and how far they had come.

~Flashback~
"Do you know anything about being a pirate?" Newgate asked Kairi as she stumbled around the deck of the ship, not quite used to the waves that battered at the ship. "Uh...?" She gave him a sheepish look, "Just that we can live however we want and we are free?" He shook his head a bit as he let out a small sigh, he was going to have to teach her everything he knew about being a pirate. "Okay, why don't we start with a simple knot tie for the sails?" He grabbed some spare rope and walked over to sit down. Kairi followed him and sat down in front, watching as he tied the knot with ease. "Now you try." He handed her her own rope and Kairi took it, trying to tie the knot but having a bit of difficulty. Newgate showed her again and she narrowed her eyes at the rope, trying hard to study the way he wrapped it together. "Don't worry, I'll get it." She replied and through the next few days, Kairi practiced the knot tying.
~end~

Edward chuckled softly at the memory. Kairi had tried really hard, eventually she got the hang of the knot tying and they moved on to studying the maps.
Edward thought about that memory as well, it was interesting how determined Kairi was to learn all she could. He closed his eyes. He remembered how close they had been to each other as he pointed to the spots on the map that he had already been to and where they were traveling next. It seemed to spark a feeling in his chest that he didn't want to act on. She didn't really show any interest in becoming more than his first mate so he never thought to press the matter. He opened his eyes to look at the ceiling again, was he falling in love with his first mate? He huffed at thoughts and reached down to his secret stash of sake and began to drink. Maybe the liquor would help lull him to sleep.

Kairi moved in her sleep and brought Newgate out of his own sleep, looking over at her. She kicked and shifted, mumbling to herself, and then would proceed to act as if she was fighting for her life. He moved to lay on his side, facing the small woman "Kairi, what's wrong?" He moved a strand of hair out of her face, "Papa, let go-!" She grumbled out in a drunken tone with fear. "It hurts!" The shout startled Newgate as he look at her with surprise as she gasped out, "STOP IT!" She sat up in cold sweat, shaking violently. She placed her hand on her chest as she took a few deep breaths, seemingly forgetting that she was laying with her Captain.
"Kairi..." Newgate sat up slowly, doing his best not to startle her. She turned to look at him like a frightened child, "Y-yes...?" Before she glanced around, "Am I naked?" Swiftly changing the topic. "You had finished off all the sake on the ship and you requested to sleep in my bed." Newgate answered her honestly, not fully hearing her words and her face turned beet red, "Ah! I am so sorry Captain!" She seemed to only use his title when she was absolutely embarrassed. "It's quite alright. Easier to keep an eye on a first time drunk." He chuckled softly, too drunk to comprehend that they were laying naked together. "Well I should probably get back to my room." She stammered beginning to make her way off of his bed, taking the sheet with. Newgate got up with her and stumbled after her, stopping at his door before she glanced back at him, her face still red. "Uh...g-goodnight Captain..." "Goodnight Kairi." He replied and watched as she closed her door. He let out a sigh before closing his own door.
Kairi leaned against her door and placed her hands on her face, shaking her head, quietly mumbling to herself "I can't believe I made a fool of myself! Laying with my Captain like a whore!" She covered her mouth in shock "Wait? Did we have drunk sex??" And carefully made her way over to her own bed, flopping down on it. She pushed her face into her pillow before she thought about it again. She was laying in bed with her Captain. He didn't seem too bothered with that fact. Was he just being nice because she was drunk? Or was there something more developing between them? Was she allowed to get her hopes up about the latter? She let out a yawn but shook her head. Kairi couldn't let herself get distracted by a stupid chemical reaction called love. She had a mission to do! She frowned before rolling over trying to sleep, only to be swallowed by the dirty actions they had done earlier in the night.