xxxvii. cherrypit

jisoo huffed as she put her head down on her desk. she did not want to deal with another 'avoiding taehyung' or 'pretending nothing happened with us' episode. she had thrown her phone on her bed about an hour ago and hasn't looked at it since. she hasn't answered any of her best friend's texts because she simply didn't know what to say. after all, what do you say when your ex who also happens to be your best friend who now has a girlfriend drunk texts you, saying he loves you? that he still loves you?

"ugh," she says out loud.

just then, a knock came from her door. "come in!" she hollered, picking her head up and attempting to look busy by putting her hands on her computer keyboard, just in case it was one of her parents. jin peeked his head through the door with a serious expression.

"taehyung is looking for you." he saw his sisters face fall. "i can get rid of him, if you want."

jisoo shakes her head no and rises from her chair. she was gonna have to talk to him sometime, she thought.

she made her way down with jin following from behind her, sporting a weary look in his eye. with a heavy heart, she grabs the doorknob and sighs before opening the door.

"sooya," her best friend said. he looked tired, stressed even. jisoo hates to think that she was the reason for the bags under his eyes. has she really ignored him for that long? hasn't it only been a day?

"tae," she whispered, not able to look him in the eye. a beat of silence passed between them before pushing him backwards onto the porch and then shutting the door behind her. now it was just her, taehyung, and the moon.

"look," he started. "i'm sorry about what i said and y'know i was drunk so i was obviously just out of it." he joked, attempting to laugh but it ended up strained. "can we please forget about it?"

jisoo hesitated. she wanted to say yes, that would be the easiest option but it wasn't the option she wanted. she needed to get the heavy feeling she's had in her heart for the past two years whenever she saw taehyung's face, or heard his name, or thought about him.

"did you mean it?" she said it so low she could barely even hear herself. the thought of taehyung hearing her beating heart over what she said gave her hope. but she pushed on. "do you love me?" jisoo finally tilts her head up and looks her friend in the eye for the first time that night.

meanwhile taehyung's current biggest fear was his own mouth and its tendency to say things he didn't think through, or things he definitely didn't mean. just once, he wanted to say the right thing. jisoo deserved nothing less, after all.

but that chance was taken away from the boy when a stern voice boomed behind jisoo.

"jisooya, curfew. get in the house." said jin, making his sister's neck do a whole 180 in shock. the two friends were silent. "taehyung, make your way next door if you know what's good for you."

this struck a wire in the boy. "look, man, we're trying to have a conversation here, can you, like, give us a minute?" he complained and jin was not about to take disrespect from someone younger than him.

he smirked and shook his head in disbelief as he made his way face to face with taehyung. ugh, thought jisoo who know found herself in between the most important guys in her life. why are they both so stupid?

suddenly, there was a smack sound in the air and taehyung was clutching his cheek. jisoo put a hand over her mouth in pure shock. her brother had punched her best friend. jin had punched taehyung.

before taehyung could even recover from the blow, jin grabbed him by the collar and pulled him up to face him. "not only did you break my little sister's heart, you're still confusing her and making her feel like shit two years later!" jin bellowed.

jisoo stepped in, putting her hands on her brother's shoulder and tried to pry him off her friend. "oppa! stop it!" she prattled but to no avail as jin kept his grip.

"go home." jin said finally, forcedully letting go of taehyung and watching him fall. a bruise was forming on the boy's face and he was at a loss for words. he clenched his jaw and looked at jisoo with solemn look in his eyes.

"i'm sorry. for everything."

before jisoo could say anything back, taehyung turned away, hopped over their gate and walked home, keeping his head down.

SPEAKING:
😬😬😬