Chapter Six

Chapter Six

"Wow," I breathed softly, staring around me.

"I know! Isn't this amazing?" Anna asked, jumping up and down excitedly like Lacy had.

I nodded in reply, taking in the beautiful dresses that swirled across the dance floor, the traveling musicians playing their lovely song on their fiddles, the little children running around with their mothers running after them trying to catch them - it was wonderful.

Lacy had already run off, talking to the royal girls her age, something she would never be able to do if they found out she was a servant.

Anna looked at me. "What's wrong?" She asked, worry filling her features.

I shook my head. "Nothing, it's just that... this is just... unbelievable."

She nodded, agreeing. "Hey, should we get some food? I mean, it's the only time we'll be able to eat this kind of stuff without taking it from the kitchens." She gave a nervous chuckle, looking around to see if anyone heard her.

"Sure," I said, following her as she made her way to the banquet table. I wasn't hungry, but I would at least try the food, and I also didn't want to be left alone with all the royals looking at me like was some kind of freak; like I didn't belong. But I didn't though, and I hoped no one would find out.

When we reached the table, deserts, breads, and meats piled precariously on top, Anna picked up a delicate-looking apple tart pastry. She sighed, holding it in her hand.

"I almost feel bad for eating this. The royals don't know how lucky they are to be able to eat something like this every day." She took a bite of it and smiled at me, the flaky crust falling out of her open mouth. "I said almost," She told me, giggling.

I smiled and laughed at her as Raphael came up behind her, putting a finger to his lips to signal me to be quiet and not tell her he was there.

"What's so funny?" She asked, a look of confusion crossing her face.

I shook my head at her. "Nothing," I said casually, trying to hold in a smile as Raphael took a tart in his hand, examined it, and tried to balance it on her head.

"What's on my head?" She asked, reaching up and picking the tart out of her hair. "What the..." She murmured and turned to look behind her. "You!" She yelled sarcastically, pretending to be angry at him.

He lifted his hands in defense, chuckling quietly. "Yes, it's me."

She made a pouty face and reached up, brushing the flakes off of her hair. "Aww, Raphael, you got crumbs in my hair."

"Since when do you care about your hair?" I asked, smiling, the mock threat on my tongue.

"I don't," She answered, giving me a look that said, don't you dare tell him I like him. "I just get really annoyed when people touch me."

Raphael laughed, his eyes lighting up as he looked at her. "Well, I think your hair is lovely." He smiled.

"Thanks," Anna replied, smiling back. "Anyway, how did you even know who I was? I thought this mask hid my face pretty well." Nervousness filled her face as she thought that people could recognize her.

"Well," Raphael started. "This girl right here helped me find you. Somehow I knew you would be here. You would never miss a chance to attend a ball where people won't find out who you are." He moved out of the way to reveal a smiling Lacy.

"You're welcome." She said, obviously happy that she could help.

"Now, Lady Anna, would you care to join me in this dance?" Raphael asked her, hope coating his voice.