Chapter 8

A/N: Sorry for the delay in this chapter! I hope you all enjoy!!!

Whitty sat on his couch thinking about the other day with Carol and watching TV. He sighed and thought about what he'd do next. He already revealed to Sunday about him just not fully, but he had sort of trust with them that he couldn't explain, some sort of "connection" as Sunday would say. But Carol... he didn't know. She was smart, too smart? No, she couldn't have been working with Updike. He didn't want to believe it, he... well, he didn't know how he felt about Carol. But there was no negative feeling there, so that was a sign. Ugh, what was he gonna do? He wiped his hand down his face and groaned in frustration. He sat back on his couch and flipped through random channels until he came upon something... interesting.
"Breaking News. Mysterious attempted murders among strange creatures popping up all over the globe." As soon as he heard strange creatures, Whitty fiddled with his remote to turn up the TV.
"Attempted victims all recalled being shot at but none saw their assassinator. Let's go to some of the possible victims."
The TV screen showed a... human? The thing is that the only thing visible about him was his skull and hands. He had horns and a hat on and sounded Russian. "I had no idea what was going on, all I know is all of a sudden I'm being shot at and I cannot find my assassin."
Another person, this time a screen demon with all black skin except his hands and his hair almost looked as they were tendrils.
"Yeah it was crazy, like first I get trapped in a stupid-ass void, now I got MORE people trying to kill me. It was nuts."
Next a scarecrow, then a mother and son stickman, and even a zombie creature, all accounting that they were shot at but failed.
"Police cannot find this mysterious gunman but does this mean a possible upcoming genocide of unusual species? Police say-"
Whitty turned off the TV and threw the remote across the room and was sweaty and hyperventilating. He might've broken the remote but he didn't care. He could not slow down his breaths, he felt that he wanted to cry, all of these people lived within a 200-mile radius of his town. He slid down on the floor and hugged his knees like a little child.
"Updike's coming, he's coming, he's coming, he's coming..." He just repeated this to himself over and over again. He felt light-headed just from hearing the news. His hands were shaking, he didn't wanna move, he had spent almost 3 and a half years in the town. He had a life. He didn't want to move. But he was going to get killed. He was going to die. His life was over. That's all he could think but that was soon interrupted.
He heard a knock on the door. He gasped and stood up from where he was sitting. "This can't be a coincidence." He thought to himself. This was it. His confrontation. Updike has terrorized him for over 3 years, this was it. The point where he finally caught him. But no, he wasn't gonna go down without a fight. He grabbed the metal bat that he kept in the corner of the room. His adrenaline was pumping and he was breathing hard. He stood next to the door, not daring to get in the view of the eye hole. He took a deep breath and decided to take a swift look in the eye hole, but before he could, the person knocked again and he cowered back like a little... well, coward. But he took another deep breath and looked through and his heart dropped.
It was just Carol!
He clenched his rapidly beating heart and wanted to scream out of relief. He put down the bat and wiped the gallon of sweat that had transpired on his forehead. He put on his hood real quick and opened the door. "H-Hey..." He tried to catch his breath to look casual but in reality, he looked like he had just run a marathon and a half. And Carol knew this.
"Hey Whitty, can we talk? Our conversation got cut off earlier."
"Yeah... how did you know where I lived?" He knew it, she was a spy, that's it, his life was ove-
"Sunday told me." Oh, that made way more sense.
"Yeah... C-Come on." He opened the door so that she could come in. He felt sort of an embarrassment about his apartment that he felt with no one else. Well, the only other person that had ever been inside was Hex but still, he hoped that Carol wouldn't judge too much about the messiness. She looked around, analyzing the place, nodding her head, he grew even more nervous. For some reason, he just couldn't let go of the paranoid thought that she was a spy but no. No. No...
She turned towards him with a nonchalant expression on her face, "..Whitty. You're special... to me. Somehow."
His heartbeat grew rapid at the word special. "Wh-What do you mean?"
"...I'm not sure. It's just, I don't know, there's some sort of connection, I'm not sure if that makes sense. But... I just wanted to come here and say..." Carol walked ever closer, making Whitty go as red as it could with his metal face. She grabbed his hands and held them with her tiny digits.
"I want to get to know you and be your friend." She smiled. At that point, Whitty's fuse stuck through his hood and he put his hand on the back of his head to hide it. "I... want to be your friend too..." That is all he could spit out as his heart was too busy attending a jamboree.
"Well, I have an idea. Why don't we go out to eat sometime, properly, instead of our friends having to set us up." She laughed.
Whitty looked surprised, "Um, I, sure." He breathed quietly but heavily through his nose.
Is this a date? No, what am I talking about? He thought to himself.
"Do you mind leaning down real quick?" She asked out of nowhere. "Um, I, s-sure." He stuttered. He leaned down into a sort of squat so that he was at eye level with Carol.
Without warning, Carol casually walked up to Whitty and hugged him, she layed her head on his shoulder. Whitty's chest felt as though inside of him was a bomb, ironic right? She wrapped her arms around his back, deepening the hug. Whitty had no idea what to do, he had never received a hug like this before. His arms laid at his sides so he worked up the courage to carefully wrap his huge arms compared to her tiny body around her back. It felt... nice.
"Be careful Whitty, please. I saw the news too." She said to him mid-hug. Whitty sucked in his breath and his blood went cold.
"I don't know what you are Whitty but... I just have a hunch you'd be a target for something like this. And even though I haven't known you longer than a week... I don't wanna see you get hurt." Whitty had nothing to say to that, it felt sympathetic.
Whitty's hands started shaking again and Carol felt this on her back, "It's ok... It'll be ok." She said as she rubbed his back and comforted him.
He didn't understand the feeling, he felt... safe. Safe in Carol's arms.
But, that all ended. Carol took the opportunity and swiftly pulled down Whitty's hood, she quickly backed up and saw Whitty's form. "Oh my god..." She mumbled. The sense of betrayal that Whitty felt was unbearable, "H-HEY! WHAT WAS THAT FOR!"

"Sorry Whitty." He heard a gunshot.

"AHH!" Whitty sat up, breathing heavily. His was covered in sweat. He looked around. He was on the floor, the same spot where he sat after watching the news.
"Did I seriously pass out? That was a dream? You got to be kidding me." He saw that his floor was covered in black oil, "Aw come on, now I gotta clean this up, man." Whitty has another particular non-human feature about him, when he cried, he didn't cry water, he cried black oil. And a lot at that, almost enough to flood a place. Meaning he had been crying from his dream.
"Ugh.." He had a severe headache and he was starving. How long had he been out? When did he pass out? That was like a bad acid trip, though he had never taken drugs, but still. His hands were shaking and his breath still wasn't steady. He took a very deep breath and sat for a minute. He'd worry about the floor later. He decided to call Hex. Though he was a robot without the capability of fully expressing emotion, he still could understand it and Hex had made it a habit of studying psychology so maybe he could shed light on Whitty's dream.
"Well, dear friend, that dream sounds like your subconscious is trying to tell you something. Perhaps about your relationship that you want with Carol." Whitty could swear he could hear Hex smiling on the other side of the phone, Whitty simply rolled his eyes. "Look Hex, I just passed out on the floor from a possible anxiety attack with no memory of how I got there then had a violently lucid dream that I got betrayed by Carol and shot. Now with that information, ask yourself, am I REALLY in the mood to get shipped with Carol?" The anger in his voice shocked Hex and he backed down. "Sorry buddy, I'm just... I don't know."
"Look Whitty, it seems as though you still have doubts about whether you can trust Carol or not but you don't wanna lose her as well. So you fear that if you get too close just to find out that she'll betray you, it'd be too much to bear." Though Whitty wanted to deny that claim, that piece of information hit too close to home and knew it was the case. He sighed.
"And the dream also explains your deep fear of Updike. And when you learned that there's a possibility that he actually might be back, you must've passed out via vasovagal syncope. The part of your nervous system that controls your heart rate and blood pressure reacted to an emotional trigger, the trigger being Updike's possible return. The reason you must've not remembered your passing out might've been just due to the trauma." Whitty stayed silent, what could he say to that?!
"Well, what should I do Hex?!" He exclaimed.
"Whitty, with your past, you've found it hard to trust people and to grow close to people because the first thing you think when meeting new people is if they're working for Updike. But you want to get close to Carol, you want to get to know her, you want to... possibly be with her. But you're afraid you'll just get betrayed."
"Yeah, I knew that. But what do I do about it?!"
"...I have an idea but you're gonna hate it. What if you just tell her the truth about you, build a bond. You said that she wanted to know what you are, tell her what you are. A sentient bomb that's 20% human, 80% unknown. That way you can establish some trust and you could get closer to Carol without the worry."
"You're absolutely right Hex. I do hate it, it's so stupid."
"Come on Whitty. Well, you said that in your dream that Carol asked you out-"
"To eat Hex, not like on a date."
"To eat... Anyway, what if you be the one to ask her?"
"What?!" Whitty yelled, "I could never do that-!"
"Because you're scared Whitty, I understand. But it's either you man up and ask her or Sunday and I will set you guys up in an awkward situation." Whitty had never seen Hex take charge like this so he was taken aback.
"...Fine." Whitty begrudgingly agreed.

A/N: Ok before you think I'm too far off canon with the news thing, check Updike's fnf wiki cause it says that Sarvente, Selever, Agoti, Tabi, Zardy, and Tricky were all targets, enemies, or victims. That's right, I READ THE WIKI MWAHAHA- /j