➳ Chapter 16

A bundle of wilting wheat. I felt like a bundle of wilting wheat. After being thrown, punched, and kicked to and fro, it was kind of nice to finally just sit down and take a breather.

  Kind of.

  Work wasn't really over yet. Instead of training, about a good couple of hours later, I found myself sitting on the examination chair in the infirmary room, being poked at and prodded with needles.

  Behemoth needed to get some blood from me to conduct blood work, but I couldn't really understand why he had to do it now. I was tired and had been bothered with enough pain for one day.  

"Behemoth..." I groaned.

  Narrowing his eyes, he sighed as he continued to draw blood from my arm. 

"Can we take a break?" I asked. "I'm tired."

"Time waits for no one." He replied. "Once I am done, you can take as much rest as you would like."

"...And how long is this going to take?"

"Another hour." He replied nonchalantly.

Great...

  His very words sucked the life right out of me, much like it would when my parents and I took road trips, and sitting in the car for as long as I had started getting to me.

"What are you looking for anyway?" I mumbled, feeling frustrated.

"Change." He said as he stuck another tube into the clip of the needle that he held in my arm. "I want to see if there are any anomalies in your blood after having been engaged in such strenuous activities..."

"...Right. Have you found anything yet?" I asked curiously.

"Yes."

"And?" I awaited.

"For right now, the information is of no use to you."

For the love of...

  The second he retracted the test tube from my arm, I yanked the needle out and threw it across the infirmary.

  I've had enough. I was sick of the secrets. 

"Then we're done here." I sighed, getting up from the chair.

  The moment I was standing on my two feet, I fell straight to the ground. I grew weak and nauseous, my world hazing in and out.

"There is a lesson you have yet to learn." He sighed. "You need to think before you act."

  Helping me up from the ground, he picked me up and placed me back on the examination chair.

"A-and you should have learned t-that keeping secrets from me won't make things easy f-for any of you." I stuttered as I slurred my words, trying to grasp my hazy surroundings.

"Why must you always make things so difficult for yourself?" He asked in frustration. "You have come this far. You have trust us for this long. Do you honestly think that we would keep information from you to harm you?"

  I sighed as I looked away from his electric blue eyes. He had a point, but I wasn't going to let him know that. 

"...Well if that is the case," He continued, "Then I am very disappointed to know that our efforts to make you feel comfortable here have failed."

  Before I could say anything, he walked to the counter and pulled out another needle, encased in a small plastic bag with a huge warning label on it, from the drawer.