56

Alice Avery

The sunlight was still shining through the sheer curtains when I woke up to my phone ringing in my ear. It was six in the evening and Brooks was calling me. I answered immediately, knwoing that whatever he wanted to tell me involved Ricky. Brooks calling was a good sign. It meant he wasn't dead.

"Hello?" My frantic tone was unintentional but very noticeable. Nothing was said back to me. "Brooks, what happened?"

I struggled to hear the deep breath he took before answering. "It's your Dad, Alice."

I was standing up now, pacing the messy room Ricky and I shared. "What do you mean? What the hell happened?"

"He was shot. Trent and Colton found him in the cellar at the house. He's in surgery now but it's not looking good." He explained and my reaction is nothing because I simply don't have one.

"Okay."

"Alice I'm serious. We don't think he's going to make it, you need to fly out here an-"

Suddenly, I heard the front door open. As Brooks continued to ramble I walked out of the bedroom, seeing Ricky in the door way. I moved the phone away from my ear and ended the call, slipping my phone in my pocket.

"What the hell were you thinking?"

"He's gone, Alice." Ricky says, walking towards me.

"No he's not," I say and push him away. "We can't win. Don't you get it? He lives and we have to deal with the target on your back. He dies and I can kiss the rest of my life goodbye."

"Alice just listen-"

"Do you have any idea what you've done? What have you done!" I raise my voice in complete frustration and fear.

"Who called you?" Ricky asks me and drops his bag on the floor, walking around the apartment as if we were having a totally normal conversation.

"Brooks," I answer with my hands attached to my hips. "Vince is in surgery."

"He's not going to survive that." Ricky takes a seat on the sofa and pulls out a cigarettes, trapping it with his lips and lighting it.

"You don't know that." I say and slump down next to him as well as taking the cigarette from him. "As much as I wish he were dead the aftermath is too messy."

Ricky shakes his head and grins. "Except it's not."

"I don't want to lead a Mafia, Ricky. I need Vince to live."

"You won't be leading anything. You have nothing to worry about anymore." He says calmly and my heart starts to race.

"Ricky-"

"Your Mother is alive."

My hands dropped to my thighs abruptly. "Seriously? What the fuck is wrong with you?" I scold him and he chooses to ignore me.

"I'm serious, Alice."

"Don't fuck around with me like that."

Ricky stood from the couch and walked over to the front door, opening it to let someone inside. Someone who happened to be my Mother. Ricky shut the door, it was just him and I and the woman who was supposed to be dead.

I stood to my feet just as she walked further into the apartment. "Alice," she called my name with a soft smile. I took a step away from her.

My hands began to shake. "Get her out of here," I instruct Ricky with my head down.

"Alice please-"

"No!" I cut my mother off. "Don't- don't talk to me. I don't want you talking to me."