Chapter- 20

Evan's POV

"Wait up man." Ryan pulled me aside.

"Listen, you're going to do just as I ask you to." He said with a mischievous smile on his face

"I won't. I already agreed to this because you gestured to. Now I want to know what you are up to before I take another step." I could never trust him and his plans.

"Fine, I will tell you. You said you aren't sure of Brae's feelings for you right ?" He asked, referring to the talk I had with him after that lunch.

"Did you guys kiss and makeup?" Ryan clasped his hands, faking excitement like a high school girl. I threw the pen in my hand at him.

"Ouchh. So that definitely didn't go well." He said rubbing his arm.

"No it didn't." I banged my palm on the desk.

"What happened?"

"I couldn't make her utter a single word. She just wanted to run away. There is something that she is hiding. But..."

"But ?"

"Then again I was wondering if there is nothing like we are thinking. Maybe she didn't like me anymore and at that time made up the story, the excuse of a rich boyfriend and all that shit."

"Yeah and the realisation hit her like a truck when the church was asking for her consent in the marriage." He spoke, sarcasm dripping from his words.

"It could have been the case. You never know. But still I can't, I am not ready to just give up on her. I just don't want to let her go."

"Then don't. Don't let her go."

"I do get the desired reactions from her sometimes but her words, the way she says makes me sometimes feel like I am forcing myself in her life."

"Evan , be practical. If she is trying to hide something she is going to act. She has to make you believe her story."

"I know. I know." I murmured. I couldn't just give up like that.

"Yes. So ?" I tilted my head to the side in confusion.

"So I can clear your doubts."

"How?" I asked.

"She is jealous of Kate." I looked at him like he had two heads. Why will she be jealous of Kate? She knew we were friends from a young age.

"Jealous of Kate? Why on Earth?" I scoffed and looked away.

"I don't know but she is jealous. She was mimicking you, mumbling under her breath when you two were planning your lunch." What ? This sounds so like her. Back in those days, whenever a girl would talk to me or show a bit of interest in me, she would get jealous and mimic her.

"Ryan." I sarcastically shook my head in denial because false hopes fucking hurt.

"Believe me. Fine, don't believe me. Just do as I say and you can see it for yourself." He said like he had hatched a genius plan.

"Like ? What should I do?" I massaged my forehead before asking.

"Like you will ask Kate to get into the passenger's seat." I chuckled humorlessly and nodded. I couldn't believe that I agreed to this but I wouldn't lie that I didn't want to confirm Brae's feelings for me.