Chapter 10: Cornered

You felt a strange sense of relief waking up the next morning. Padding out to the kitchen, you saw him stretching out in his usual yoga spot by the balcony window. You smiled gently at him, putting on a pot of coffee. When he stood to face you, your smile faltered. His eyes were tired, his face seemed drawn. It hit you that perhaps you'd stressed him out too much and the guilt washed over you like a tidal wave.

Wandering over to you, he wrapped you in a warm hug, however. "G'morning," he whispered. Turning your face up to him, you kissed him softly. "Did you end up sleeping okay?"

Shrugging under his arm, you offered a half smile. "As well as one does after a breakdown."

"Oh, so like a baby."

You couldn't help but laugh. "What about you? You disappeared for a bit."

His smile fell. "I didn't think you noticed."

Hugging him tighter, you chewed on your worry. "Did... did you leave?"

Shaking his head adamantly, his brows shot up. "No! No, no. I called Trixie, actually. I wanted to tell him the gist of what was going down, rather than spring it on him in a public place."

Nodding in understanding, you cuddled into his chest, somewhat afraid to ask him. "Bri? Are... Are we okay?"

"Of course."

You swallowed hard, awash in anxiety. "I'll understand in you want to leave, you know?" He breathed in, preparing to speak, but you continued. "This is... all a lot. Like a lot. If this is too much and you have to leave - o-or want me to leave - to look after yourself, I'll understand."

You were surprised by hands on your face, turning you up to look at him. His eyes were hurt and angry. "Don't. Don't talk like that. What is wrong with you?" Your eyes fell from his. "Stop blaming yourself for my issues. Whatever goes on with me is not your fault."

A pang in your heart shot your eye back up to him. It felt like he could read your mind. "I just want you to be okay," you whispered. He softened, drawing you back in for a hug. 

"I am. Or, I will be. Just stop talking crazy. That's my job, dammit."

A half smile crossed your lips. "You've never been good at your job, one of us has to step up."He erupted in laughter, tension dissipating slightly. You liked that, it felt a little more normal. Turning your head up to him, you shared a fierce kiss.

"You're rotted," he murmured, kissing you again.

"In the ground, mother. Six foot under."

He grinned at that. "I keep telling you! Necrophilia!"

Pulling a disgusted face, you disentangled from him to pour the coffee. "I am into many a strange thing, McCook, but I have to draw the line at fucking dead people." Coming up behind you to wrap his arms over your waist and set his chin in the crook of your neck, he pouted. 

"That's a filthy lie, Barbara, and you know it." You asked him what he meant. "You've fucked me plenty and we all know I'm dead inside."

Groaning, you turned to look at him. "Keep talking like that and you'll never get fucked again."

The hands at your waist slid to your ass, pulling your hips to his. "More lies," he mumbled into your neck. Your breath caught in your throat but you decided to play it cool, sipping from your coffee. 

"Lying is a sin and I'm a good Christian woman, thank you."

His hands squeezed. "You're the furthest thing from a good girl, Bambi." The tone of his voice turned something in your stomach.