Chapter 7: the woman and the wire

By morning, he has hatched a plan. A sketchy plan, but a plan.

It'll require everyone to cooperate and put their trust entirely in him, but he's confident it'll work. After last night, it has to. She had held onto him while he'd stroked her hair for the last hour of his visit, using his softest voice to assure her that no matter what, Landers would get his comeuppance. The plan needs to work. The thought of what will happen if it doesn't makes him sick to his stomach. He doesn't want her to have to face Landers for a second more than necessary. He can't let her down. At 9:02, he's outside Chief Bridges' office, knees bouncing up and down with nerves as he waits. When his superior finally arrives, he shoots up from the chair with an urgency that shocks the older man.

            "Something I can help you with, Zimmerman?" his voice is already unimpressed.

            "I uh, need to talk to you."

The Chief gives him a stiff grunt, holding the door of his office open for the detective to enter. He takes the small wooden seat opposite Bridges' desk, body confined to the tiny wooden frame. The older man lays his briefcase down on the table with a slam.

            "Tell me this isn't about that girl from the records room," he sighs.

            "She knows who attacked her."

            "Good. That makes your job easier." The Chief settles into the chair behind his desk, clasping his hands together. "Now why did you need to bring this to me specifically?"

Flip clears his throat, looking up from under his thick brows.

            "It was Landers."

Bridges lets out a deep sigh and turns his face towards the window. The light pouring in illuminates every single crack and wrinkle in his aged skin. His blue eyes squint with the brightness of the morning.

            "She doesn't have any proof. I can't do anything without proof Flip, you know that."

He doesn't deny it because he doesn't believe she's lying. Landers has been a bad cop for a long time. He's covered up enough of his scandals to know that by now. In the past, it was easy. Every cop has a dirty laundry they don't want to air out,  hardly any of them are completely clean. Though Bridges doesn't waste his time thinking about that. Landers is something else entirely. Some of his crimes sit heavily on even the Chief's mind, if not for his own morality, for the reputation of his police department. His statement is enough to convince Flip things are going to work.

            "I can get proof." The words are the most confident he's sounded since he stepped into the office.

            "And how do you plan to do that?"

He's not against the idea. In truth, it might actually be good for the CSPD in the long run. If the public found out about some of the crimes he'd committed, they'd never survive the corruption claims coming their way. Bridges is intrigued, to say in the least.

            "You know Landers he likes to talk. I figured if we could get her in the records room with a wire..." he doesn't have to finish his sentence, Bridges is already sold.

            "Do what you have to do." Bridges dismisses him with the wave of a hand.

            "Thank you, sir."

He stands, makes a move to exit the room when he hears his name being called over his shoulder. He turns to face his boss one last time.

            "If you can get him on multiple counts, that works better for me." Bridges orders. "Fucker's been causing me problems far too long."