Chapter 11 - "Do you think she believed me?"

Donovan stood before his bathroom mirror, tying his tie. But even as he went through the motions, he wasn't aware of what he was doing.

He'd check all news sites and media platforms, there was no mention of a story about the President's illegitimate son. He'd found all of Carter's profiles on different platforms but they had all been inactive for four years. Even then she hardly posted, mostly she was tagged by someone else.

Still, Donovan felt a sense of unease.

Could Link have played it off well enough that Carter believed he wasn't the President's son, or at least didn't know that he was? Donovan didn't think it likely, not with how intelligent he knew Carter to be. But so far she'd done nothing. He prayed it would stay that way.

When he walked into Link's apartment, Link looked more rumpled than usual. Donovan figured his sleep was as erratic as Donovan's. At least his glasses hid some of the dark circles under his eyes. Without a word, they left.

"Look at me," Donovan said after he pulled into an open parking space and cut the engine.

Link did as he was told.

"Play today like everything is fine," Donovan said.

Link gnawed on his lower lip. "Do you think she believed me?"

No, he didn't.

"As far as we're concerned, she did and that's how we're going to get through this. Okay?"

Link removed his glasses and palmed his eyes.

"How could she know when no one at our old school ever even guessed?"

Donovan gazed out at the mass of students converging on the front school doors. They talked with each other or to their phones, their lives wrapped up in themselves and their needs. He dragged a hand through his hair.

"Because she's a girl who avoids her own problems by observing those of other people."

"Yeah, and now she's our problem."

Donovan squeezed Link's shoulder. "It's going to be okay. You got that?"

With a sigh, Link nodded. Donovan wanted to say more but without seeing Carter and assessing her current state and what she knew and didn't know it would be pointless. They joined the crowd and entered the loud hallways.

Halfway to chemistry, someone knocked into Link. Donovan caught him before he could fall and righted him. Link straightened, coming face to face with Carter. He tensed and Donovan silently willed him to keep his cool, as he studied Carter. She wore no smug expression or showed a sign of being in on a secret. Instead, she seemed normal.

"Sorry about that," Carter said.

The friendly tone instantly relaxed Link. Donovan didn't feel the same way.

"You seem to have a knack for running into me," Link said.

"It seems I do. I'll have to watch out for that. I wouldn't want you getting the wrong idea and thinking I liked you."

When Link laughed, Donovan knew he believed she'd bought his story. But the intent glint in Carter's eyes told Donovan otherwise. She knew, but for some reason right then she wasn't planning on saying anything. He couldn't decide if this was a good thing or a bad thing.

"Did you finish that essay for history yet?" Link asked as they headed to class.

"Last night, why?"

Link frowned and scratched the back of his head. "I'm having trouble finding a good reference book."

"I'll help you find one in free period."