Chapter 4

The following day, Gothalia was consumed by trepidation as she stood before the imposing gates of the Cetatea fortress. This was the place where all military personnel were trained, guided, and housed. Even with Anton by her side, fear coursed through her veins, rendering her impervious to Maximus's snarky remarks. "Do you think they'll care if we're late?" he quipped, raising an eyebrow.

Gothalia paid him no heed, her attention fixed on the looming Peacekeeper guarding the entrance. Other recruits were streaming in, carrying their chosen weapons. She clutched the strap of her bag tightly, her knuckles turning white as she approached. The Peacekeepers' deep red uniforms, reminiscent of blood, contrasted sharply with the pristine pearl stone grounds. Their black faceplates, which covered half of their features, complemented their Centurion attire. Anton asked, "What do you think?" but received no response. The trio walked on, with Maximus scrambling to catch up.

In turn he replied: "I don't know that's why I'm asking." No answered him. Their attention drawn on the Peacekeeper manning the gate while other recruits entered the Cetatea carrying their chosen weapons. Gothalia pulled at the bag-strap that hung over her shoulder, her grip tightened around it as she approached. The deep red uniform of the Peacekeepers, the colour of blood, stood out against the clean pearl stone grounds. While their black faceplates, complemented their Centurion attire, covering half of their features.

As Gothalia stood in line with the other recruits, Anton and Maximus lingered behind her. She hesitated for a moment before turning to them and whispering, "There's still time to change your mind." Despite her own doubts, she hoped they would reconsider their decision to join.

Maximus scoffed and crossed his arms. "Yeah right, and miss all the fun?"

"And besides it's either this or a public whipping." Anton replied.

Gothalia tried to reassure herself as much as the others. "They won't whip us," she said, hoping that her words would hold true. She didn't know why she had been singled out, but she knew that she couldn't defy them. If she complied, maybe everyone would be spared.

"You don't know that for sure. Do we really trust anything the Grand Elders say?"

Gothalia was cautious with her innermost musings, aware that her community harbored a deep-seated distrust for the Peacekeepers and their affiliates. Those who dared to associate with them were often met with disdain from the Grand Elders, who viewed them as inferior in the social hierarchy. This constant reminder made it challenging for Gothalia and her kin to place their faith in anyone linked to the Peacekeepers. As she gazed upon the man with fiery red hair before her, donning the same uniform as the Peacekeepers, she couldn't help but feel a sense of familiarity and admiration. However, she quickly shook herself out of her reverie.

Impatiently, the Centurion Peacekeeper demanded, "Your pass." Gothalia quickly retrieved her pass and handed it over, watching as the Peacekeeper scanned it over his armor. The armor lit up green, indicating that she was cleared to proceed. As she entered, she noticed the same red-haired man casually speaking to Grand Elder Michalis.

"What's he doing here?" Gothalia muttered, scowling at the Grand Elder.

Her thoughts paused when she heard Anton's agitated voice from behind her. "What pass?" he growled.

Gothalia let out a sigh and squeezed the bridge of her nose, feeling a headache coming on. And her frustration riding. She counted back from five before muttering to herself, "Here we go again." Turning around, she faced the Peacekeeper and spoke, "He's with me."

"You may be allowed entry, but *they* aren't." the Peacekeeper declared, dismissively gesturing at Maximus and Anton.

Maximus growled and crossed his arms, "That's discrimination!" he exclaimed, feeling outraged. "Why, I never—" Anton quickly elbowed Maximus in the side, hard, as they heard footsteps approaching.