The Lucky Compass

Tugging the blankets even further up my neck, wanting to find some sort of warmth

"Why is it so cold in here?" I question. 

"It was your idea to have our sleepover in the boat instead of the house" Sarah points out, turning over to face me, completely unfazed by the chill. "Which I still don't get by the way" her voice is croaky because we have just woken up. 

Well I rudely woke her up when I kept complaining about the draft 

"Change of scenery" I shrug but Sarah knows there is more to it, thankfully she doesn't press the subject anymore. 

I just don't want to be in the same house as him. 

"Did you hear about Scooter?" She brings up now that we are awake, "I think everyone has heard about Scooter" I respond. "I know, it's terrible, his wife was really distraught" Sarah is definitely the most compassionate out of both of us. 

"Yeah I can imagine" I comment, "but I mean what did he expect being out in the storm?" I remark. 

"Really Liz" Sarah shoots me a disappointed look. 

"I'm just saying" I shrug, digging further into the covers. 

"Has your dad said anything about it?" She wonders, "my dad never tells me anything about anything" I reply, "I asked him about Scooter and he told me to mind my own business" I recall. 

"Do you think there is something deeper happening?" She queries. 

"Maybe" I shrug, "I mean it was a bit weird that the Pogues were searching the same room as my father but whatever" Sarah looks at me to elaborate. "Oh yeah, I forget to tell you" I sit up, "I saw John B and his group sneaking around the motel and they were in the same room that my dad was called to search" I explain. 

"They were hiding from my dad, so I am guessing they weren't meant to be there" I make the connection, "and since the main case my dad is working on is Scooter's death and the missing boat, I think it might have something to do with it" I suggest.

"Why would John B and his friends be involved?" Sarah questions. 

"Don't ask me" I shrug, "I am just telling you what I saw" I lie back down. 

"Aren't you the tiniest bit curious?" Sarah pushes, "about what those maniacs are doing? Absolutely not" I huff, "I couldn't care less" I state. 

"Did you tell your dad about them hiding?" She asks, "no" I shake my head, leaving out the part where I might have helped them get away. "Why not?" She questions, "none of my business" I respond. 

"You've gone soft" she tickles me.

"Get off" I playfully whack her hands away. 

It goes quiet as we just focus on the soothing sound of the calm waves crashing along the edge of the boat.