soba

Akaashi liked to compare Bokuto to twilight.

Once the sun went down, he erupted in a darkness that seemed to sweep the night right off of its feet.

It was a slow, vague change, much like the time spent waiting for the moon, but when it showed up, it was still that much unexpected, despite the anticipation for it.

When he was racing, he was a completely different person, eyes dark with focus, face covered in an umbra that held nothing but desire, a need to finish first. And when he did, he would beam, explode in a heat that drew eyes and sparked gossip, a torch against the night.

He was the violet wash of nighttime inside of his car, the gradual ascent of the sun when he stepped on the gas, the relentless heat of the sun when he won, and Akaashi felt lucky to catch it, even if it was only a few times.

He, Kuroo, and Kenma had won 38,000 from betting on Bokuto once again tonight, the excitement of watching Bokuto's blue lights paint victories across the asphalt thrumming beneath Akaashi's skin.

Akaashi liked to pretend that he wasn't really here, that he was looking at the streets through a film lens, as if he was at home and watching this on television. He wanted to have as little to do with this as he possibly could, while also making some money off of Bokuto's name.

He was good at being in denial when he wanted to be.

Akaashi was staring at the sky, in the middle of collecting stars in his pockets and skating on Saturn's rings to fit in with the night when Bokuto practically runs up to him from his parked car, a lot like he did last week, that same, wild look in his smokey eyes, a chaotic energy practically streaming from every pore in his skin.

Akaashi was finding it increasingly difficult to reject a face like that.

He brings the soda Bokuto bought him up to his lips (despite insisting to pay for it himself), and hopes that it hides the tiny smile that was trying to showcase itself on his face.

"Daisy, did you see that? Did you see that awesome drift? I just won, did you see?" The wind blows through Bokuto's silky button-down, the light blue a delicate contrast against his pale chest.

He truly did look like someone important, like Akaashi should have known his name upon seeing him for the first time.

He sighs through his nose and nods, looking at the ground, trying not to find Bokuto's excitement endearing. The small patch of daisies near the railing of Takai had begun to bloom, a cluster of white petals with the prettiest contrast of yellow in the center.

Akaashi wanted to pick them.

"I did. It was okay." Akaashi shrugs, and Bokuto groans into the air, his voice mingling with a few cheers and shouts from some people behind him.

"Aghaashi! I–"

"Bokuto! You're amazing!" Kuroo shouts, his fists in front of him as they shake in emphasis, a slight slur to his voice as it carries with the nightly breeze. "Thank you for giving me money!"

Akaashi lets his eyes wander while Kuroo has Bokuto's attention, falling over the paint of the cars, the decals and the rims on their tires. There were a few people he recognized from the last race, Nishinoya, Yaku and his friend that Akaashi later found out to be named Lev.

He only was familiar with Bokuto and Kuroo, with Kenma mostly sticking to the latter, softly explaining things to him whenever he asked. He would point at the freeway with a bored expression, as if he'd explained this a million times before, and when Kuroo would get excited, Kenma would smile and nod.