The Ultimate Price

After disclosing some information on where exactly they would meet to discuss all of this, he immediatly hung up from the phone, relatively in shock. Dean knew that the words that this man spoke of couldn't possibly be true, especially when Cain himself didn't even know of a way to find peace. Yet, this was the closest thing he had to taking off the Mark for good and he wanted to make sure if it was the real deal or not. He wouldn't confide in Cas or Sam about this current matter because he didn't want to get their hopes up. But mainly it was due to the fact that, deep down, Dean knew that trouble was brewing and the last thing he wanted was for them to be involved again in his messes.

        Dean lets out a long sigh and stares down at his Mark that he tries desperately to avoid at all costs. The Mark of Cain seems to grow in size each day and that seems to frighten him more than the burning sensation that folllows it. Pain he could handle. It was the impending state of things that always made his heart skip a beat. He wouldn't care if the Mark consumed him whole and left him for dead, as long as nobody got killed in the crossfire. Against all odds, he was the one that deserved it the most. All the pain he caused people. All the death his own 2 eyes has witnessed throughout his life on this earth and that wasn't even counting the innocent lives lost just because he was a second too late. All of these things can be traced back to one common variable and that was him.

        He got up and walked to the bathroom, hoping a nice steamy shower would clear his thoughts and help ease the pain the Mark was inflicting upon him. Dean knew why the Mark was lashing back at him and making him feel this certain way but he chose not to acknowledge it. The moment that thought would enter his head is the moment he could never turn back from. The Mark always found ways to twist things in a manner that made him fuel with rage and longing. Even if it was just for a millisecond, Dean would find it extremely difficult to hold onto sane thoughts and climb his way back. It was almost an impossible task and that made him realize just how far he really was from his humanity.

        He turned on the shower the hottest it would go and watched as the mirror instantly fogged up. It was strange to him how, in such a little amount of time, things could change so easily. He swiped across the glass, studying himself for the first time in a while. Mirrors use to be his friend when he was a hot-headed teenager but now it seemed to be his enemy. Not because of the wrinkles building up along his eyes and mouth. Those were just a constant reminder that he was getting older and the weight of his hunting life was piling on heavier than usual. It was the fear that, one day, Dean is going to look into the mirror and not recognize the person staring back at him. That his apple green eyes are going to morph into black ones and his face will be coated in layers of blood. Not his blood but the blood of those he cares about most.

        That is not something that comes easily to his mind so he busies himself with taking off his clothes. His pants were to his ankles, ready to be stepped out of, when a faint knock was heard at the door.

        He rolled his eyes and scratched at his head. "Sam don't you know that there are plenty of other bathrooms in the bunker. Why do you have to always pick the on I am in? I mean honestly dude?"

        "Dean. It's me." A deep voice boomed from behind the door and the tension Dean was feeling instantly vanished. He didn't quite know yet what it was about that angel that could make him feel so at peace but, at that moment, he didn't really seem to care.

"Doors unlocked." 

The door opens and Cas slowly walks in, shutting it behind him. When he sees that Dean only has his boxers on he averts his eyes to the shower still steaming away. He thought that gesture was funny seeing that he had no problem sucking him off but when he had clothes on it was the most scandalous thing in the world. Not clothes. Anything but the clothes.