(Twenty)

(Twenty)

"Thanks for ditching me jackass." Gray hurries up beside me as I storm purposefully towards the exit. That persistent grin is still on his face. Seriously, it's weird that he smiles so much.

"Believe me, I did you a favour. Orcs are about as anti-light as you can get."

"Yeah, they're also in the top ten creatures most likely to kill me."

Gray shrugs like that's not such a big deal. "What did you find out?"

"I got the name of a guy who started a fight," I say, realising that I shouldn't be telling Gray everything. "I've got to go." Before he can protest I'm through the door of light, walking back to my home. It doesn't feel like I've got rid of him-somehow he'll find me again, I know.

As soon as I walk through the backdoor I know I've walked into something. Danika and Charlie stop talking halfway through their sentences, looking at me with wide eyes. Charlie looks absolutely furious, Danika looks frustrated.

Straightaway, I leave the living room, heading for upstairs. Charlie starts talking as soon as he can't see me. Generally, he's bitching about me.

"With Grayson Light-the prince for fuck sake. How the hell did she meet him?"

"They met on Saturday, Char. He was following her all night."

"Why? Why is everyone so obsessed with her? What is going on?" He sounds like a jealous twelve year old.

"Charlie, calm down. No one is obsessed with Immy, they just-"

"Whatever Danika, take her side, I don't care."

"There are no sides!" Danika yells, her majestic voice rising to a high pitched shriek.

"I just don't understand how no one can see how badly this is going to end and how stupid we're being. I can't wait till she tells the whole world about us and gets us killed and exiled and blamed for whatever she's going to mess up."

I retreat into my room, having heard enough. Sitting down on my bed, head in my hands, I try to keep it together. The shouting just seems to have thrown me and I hate that I've caused this sort of reaction in somebody. I hate hearing two people who should love each other fight; it's my childhood all over again.

Glancing over at my phone, I see that my voicemail is full of messages from my mum. I listen to them as I lie back on my bed, my eyes closed.

Message received at 5:45pm. "Immy, it's me, please call back."

Message received at 5:50pm. "Immy, please call."

Message received at 6:01pm. "Immy, we need to talk answer your phone."

Message received at 6:05pm. "Imogene, I don't want you living at Jackson Street, I thought I made myself clear. I'll be coming around to pick you up tomorrow, have your stuff ready."

Message received at 6:08pm. "Immy, please call honey. I know things have been rough and I'm sorry, please call."

Message received at 6:08pm. "Answer your bloody phone."

Strangely, the last two are from different numbers and only seconds apart. The first is from my mum's home phone and the second is blocked. I don't have the energy to deal with my mother, and I don't even want to. The last time I saw her was a mess and all I can think of now is putting her in a psychiatric ward.

I slip on my pyjamas, despite it still being well and truly light outside, and drag myself into bed. Something has taken all the energy out of me and all I want to do it sleep. I tell myself that I'll just take a short nap before writing an essay that's due but I feel a heavy sleep come over me and I let it pull me under.