Chapter Nine

Olly raised his hand to help me down. I wavered, not wanting his charming ways to win me over, but as his wide, enticing glare glared up, gravity pulled, and I put my hand into his.

He gripped my hand tightly, and for a moment, time stood still. As if hit in the face by a football, he was back in my life in ways I didn't want. That feeling of familiarity smothered me, telling me I belonged there, in the moment and with him, as if the time and distance between us defied everything planned out for us.

I stepped off the bench and let go of him, brushing the sweat on my palm on my Jeans as I sat down. For a moment, silence bound us, and it was eerily calming. Fear hooked my stomach the longer neither of us spoke. Five minutes had passed since not being able to sleep from my mind running all over the place, and now it was complete mush, a blank canvas.

Leaning back on the bench with my gaze on the black sheet of night sky ahead, I took the cigarette packet out of my pocket. I listened to him let out a large breath.

"He really has won you over, hasn't he?" Olly muttered. I said nothing, exhaling out my first drag, watching the smoke float, wishing I could grow wings and fly away with it.

"They're my dad's, and he gave them to me," I paused, "Not that it matters."

"Oh," was all Olly replied, and I couldn't help but feel a little smug as he adjusted his position on the bench, not knowing what to say. I didn't want to look at him and admit that Kyle, just like he assumed, had influenced me, so I didn't. Olly didn't deserve such satisfaction. Instead, I kept my distance and denied what he wanted, and that was to say I told you so.

"Why do you care if Kyle has anything to do with me anyway, you have a girlfriend." As the words left my mouth, I nearly choked on the smoke that caressed my throat as I stared at the sky. The stars faded, and the clouds moved in as if something terrible was about to happen. That would come next in the movies in a scene like this.

I remained calm as long as I didn't look into Olly's gorgeous face. His contagious smile couldn't tempt me if I ignored it, but then, at the same time, I didn't know if he was smiling. The tone of his voice sounded far from happy, so sad and faint. Why was he there? I then asked myself.

"Did Kyle tell you that as well?" he retorted.

Argh! Why did he have to be right all the time? I hate him. I feel nothing and have no reason to love him. Olly lied and left me. I reminded myself.

"My mum did," I said, irritated. "Maybe with your new girlfriend, don't let your mums become best friends; that way, you won't have your secrets spoilt."

"I didn't mean to keep secrets from you, Ashley," he mumbled as I watched his Nike trainers tap the floor.

Dropping the cigarette to the ground, I crushed it beneath my shoe, then looked at him, hearing nothing but the crease of my leather jacket.

Sat in Jeans and a black t-shirt, Olly appeared different. His sportswear was missing, and so was his cap. But still as captivating as ever, he entranced me by the second with his deep brown eyes and soft smile. I couldn't fight it no matter how hard I tried.

"But you did. You ruined everything," I said. I glanced away, breaking eye contact, remembering how I felt when I heard he had a girlfriend.

Olly tucked his bottom lip between his teeth. He was wry, not wanting to say sorry, which frustrated me.

"Why are you even here?" I asked, rubbing my hands together and leaning my elbows on my knees.

"I finished for half term."

"No, here, sat on the bench behind my house," I said harshly.

"I didn't know it was your house."

"If you say so, Olly."