Chapter 6 - Don't care if it hurts; wanna have control

Apparently, Veronica was mad enough at him that she didn't want to speak to him anymore, because she sent her instruction that he had to take Kirsten with him to the audition on Monday via text. The fact that they needed to be spotted together went without saying.

When he arrived at the studio, what he wasn't expecting was a brick wall to meet them. The wall introduced himself as Farak Bamada, informed them that he was Cas' personal assistant, and was then silent.

Cas shared a look with Kirsten, but they joined the line for auditions and tried to ignore the way the man loomed even from several meters away, with his head down and tapping away at his phone.

It had been a long time since he had to join a line for an audition. Veronica had always been able to get him in by appointment, and he knew this was a 'fuck you' from her, a reminder that he needed her. But he found hanging out with Kirsten fun, and others in the line recognized him but didn't make it weird, instead joining in until their section of the line was abuzz with laughter and loud voices. He wasn't even fazed when some photographer approached, ignored by Bamada and excited to spot him, allowing the woman to get a few shots of him and Kirsten grinning at the camera.

It quietened when the line began to move and Cas felt some nerves build.

"So, a new personal assistant, huh?" Kirsten asked, clearly attempting to distract him.

"I didn't know about him. Veronica never told me she was giving me an assistant. Maybe I'm getting through to her though, and she's planning on taking a step away from me and leaving me alone."

"Doesn't seem to be her M.O. though? And he doesn't look like much of an assistant. He looks like he bench presses cars."

Kirsten's eyebrows were pulled down but before Cas could ask what idea was forming, he was in the door and had to focus on his lines instead.

The audition went well. He knew it would. Veronica might think that all he was good for was tween-targeted romance movies, but he knew better. They even asked him and a few others to hang around because the female lead was coming in, so they could read with her.

"You were amazing," Kirsten told him as they waited. She sounded stunned and tilted her head appraisingly. "I mean, I knew you were good, but you gave that so much gravitas, out of such a little body."

He laughed, playfully pushing her away, ignoring the glare Bamada sent across the room that clearly told him to behave. He sat back, shoulders slumping, when an image of doing similar with Ben came to him.

"What happened?" Kirsten asked.

"Just... Ben."

"Someone you dated?"

He knew he wasn't supposed to say anything, but what was Kirsten going to do? If she did go to the media it would save him a job. And if she went to Veronica, well, she already knew.

"Yeah. My boyfriend, and Veronica got rid of him."

"She killed him?"

He couldn't help snorting, feeling lighter at the cheeky grin Kirsten gave. "She probably would have if she'd thought she'd get away with it. No, she just threatened us - threatened my career - and he left."

"Just like that?" Kirsten sounded doubtful.

"He didn't want to. But I didn't make it clear enough what he meant to me. I'm certain he thought I'd choose my career over him. It didn't come down to it in the end, but I don't think I would have. I miss him. But I haven't heard from him, so I think it's done, whatever he said about waiting for me."