Chapter 3 - Chain reaction - what do you expect?

Cas woke up the next day with a puffy face, all cried out, though he felt like he'd be able to create more tears if Ben was mentioned.

Luckily, Penny had stayed over in one of the six, pointless, spare bedrooms, and knew better than to bring up last night's scene. She was downstairs at the coffee machine when he made his way into the kitchen on shaky legs.

"Oh, sweetheart," she said as she passed him a coffee.

"Don't," he muttered. "Please."

"Of course not. But let me at least run you a bath and give you a facial. We can sort out those puffy eyes. Then we can get some retail therapy."

He agreed without much enthusiasm, but by the time they were shopping, he felt vaguely human. Penny had helped him with a soothing face mask and some carefully applied concealer, and the oversized aviators and beanie covered the rest. The rest he hid behind a venti of some excessively sweet Starbucks concoction. She'd said the sugar would do him good but he'd only taken three sips before his teeth hurt.

He'd spent a gratifyingly disgusting amount by the time someone recognized him - a teenage girl who pulled her reluctant friend over and gushed at him about how much she'd loved him in his last movie. He forced a smile, even though he'd hated that character - he was such a smarmy jerk. But Veronica had told him he had to do it because the fans would love it, and she wasn't wrong.

The girls went away happy, and Cas put on the big smile he was known for while he dealt with the few others it prompted. It was more fake than usual today, and drained him, so he asked Penny if they could forego the late lunch they'd been about to have.

He was exhausted when they got back, and Penny helped him put his new things away.

"I should go soon," she suggested weakly when they'd finished, her face a mask of worry.

"Do you have to?" he asked, folding and refolding a t-shirt.

"I doubt Veronica would be happy to know I'm here."

Cas slumped on the bed, throwing the carefully folded t-shirt to one side.

"I'm sick of her controlling me. Look what she's done. She can't possibly have my well-being in mind. I was happy with Ben, you know? So happy."

Penny only got as far as opening her mouth when the trilling doorbell interrupted them.

"Oh my god, that might be Ben!"

"Sweetheart, Ben would have messaged you," Penny reminded him, a gentle hand on his arm.

"Shit, you're right. Fuck, that means it's her. I don't want to speak to her. Please, Penny."

She took his other arm, waiting until he looked into her eyes.

"I could chase her off. But if she knows I'm here she'll separate us again. You can do it, Cas, I know you can."

He wasn't as sure as her, but he didn't want to give Veronica ammunition by revealing Penny, so he nodded.

She gave him a brief kiss on the cheek.

"Stay strong. Just do what she says. We can come up with a plan after."

He reluctantly left her sitting on his bed and went to open the front door. He was right, it was Veronica, but she wasn't alone.

"Caspian, sweetheart. Are you going to invite us in? You look pale, you need to make sure you're getting enough sleep."

He wanted to curse at her - to chase her away - but he knew he couldn't afford that. Penny was right - he needed to make her think she was winning. He was bolstered by the memory of Ben saying he'd wait. He had to believe he could have it again, he just needed to get through to the other side and come up with a plan.