Chapter 7

Dipper awoke to a light breath on the back of his neck and sunshine warming his brown curls. He turned around, stretching, grass falling off his vest.

"Mmph, Bill?" he murmured.

"Morning," said Bill. Dipper opened his eyes and smiled. Bill gave him a toothy grin back.

"Your hair looks awful," noticed Dipper. Bill gasped.

"How dare you! My hair is amazing!" he cried. He sat up and snapped his fingers. A golden mirror appeared in one hand and a comb in the other. Dipper could only see his eyepatch from his angle. Bill started fussing over his hair.

Dipper yawned and rolled onto his back. He took his hat off, then pushed aside a pile of dry pine needles and sat his hands under his head. The sky was covered with large spruce branches sprouting needles like fans. The sun shone in the corner.

Laying there, Dipper realized he'd missed this. Missed the clear falls air. Missed the sting of strong sap in his nose. Today was too nice to go to waste. And yet, he couldn't bring himself to enjoy it. It didn't feel like summer without Mabel or Soos or Melody. He had to go back. He groaned and sat up, rubbing his back.

"How's that hair coming along?" he asked Bill.

"Absolutely fantastic, thank you very much," Bill said with satisfaction, poofing the mirror into thin air and leaning against Dipper's head, ruffling it. Dipper gave him a look.

"Just because your hair is bad doesn't mean you have to ruin mine."

Bill looked offended again. "You brat! My hair isn't bad!"

"I beg to differ," Dipper laughed and tossed Bill's hair. Bill shot him a death glare and Dipper thought his eye turned red for a second. Then, he smirked maliciously.

"OH, it is on, Pines!"

"Come at me, you demo--" Bill tackled Dipper onto the ground. "Bill!" he gasped. Bill laughed and messed up his hair even more.

"Who has the bad hair now? Huh, Pine Tree? C'mon, answer me!" he jeered.

"Ugh, it's way too early for this," groaned Dipper, trying to push him away. Bill sat up, frowning.

"Oh, no. No no no no, no way," said Bill. "You insulted my hair. There's no 'too early' for that."

"Stop being so dramatic. Besides, you're a cornchip. You don't even have hair." Bill glowered.

"Excuse me, but if I think that if I were in your place, I would be seeing a very handsome guy with fabulous hair sitting right in front of me," he boasted. "I'd probably want to kiss him, once or twice, too. On the lips." Dipper chuckled.

"Where is he?"

Bill stared. His eyes definitely flashed red. "You are so dead Pine Tree," he said.

* * * * *

Dipper somehow managed to survive his disaster of a morning. He'd convinced Bill to walk back to the Mystery Shack with him. Though, it was more of him walking and Bill floating. Dipper desperately needed a shower after Bill had tangled pine sap all over his hair. He hoped his hat wasn't permanently glued to his head.

"Well, that was fun, wasn't it?" said Bill, bouncing alongside Dipper. He poked Dipper's cheek and grinned when he got sap on his finger. Dipper ignored him.

Bill looked perfectly fine—in fact, he was looking better than yesterday. His yellow suit hadn't been ruined by the forest bedding, unlike Dipper's, and it seemed like he'd even found time to iron his cape. Bill was a bit taller than Dipper, though his hat must've added at least an extra two feet of difference. It didn't help that it floated above his head.