2. An Unusual Summons

I bolt into a sitting position, crying out with fright. Sweat soaked hair slides across my brow as I double over, wheezing as I try to pull air into my lungs. Remnants of the dream cloud my mind. I do my best to make sense of it, but nothing seems to stick. Minutes pass, and the dream fades, taking with it all of my uncertainties.

Pushing all of it to the back of my mind, I shove my legs across the edge of the bed and stand. With a snap of my fingers, the lights turn on. I take a moment to gaze at my surroundings. Relief floods every inch of my body. I’m home, safe and sound.

A swift knock on my door draws me out of my reverie. I grab my robe off the back of a chair. Taking several quick strides, I yank it open to find my sister staring back at me. Her tentative smile says it all. Something has happened, and I’m in the thick of it.

“What’s wrong?”

“Commander Bollard wants to see you.”

“What? Why?”

Thela shrugs and shakes her head. “I don’t know. I was instructed to take you to the Bunker. We must hurry.”

“What time is it?”

She glances at the smart watch strapped to her wrist. “Three twenty-two in the morning.”

I step aside and let her into my room. Thela shuts the door behind her as I take a moment to change clothes. The much needed shower will have to wait. I’m ready in less than five minutes. My older sister nods with approval, and we make our way out of my room.

Several seconds later, we’re walking down the avenue toward the administrative district. Thela remains quiet. I can’t help but to wonder what’s going on inside her head.

Why does the commander want to see me? I wonder. And why this early?

“I think they’re going to reassign you,” Thela says, moments later.

“Huh?” I mutter, trying to gather my bearings.

She slides her hands into the pockets of her thermal suit and purses her lips. “I heard Pippa talking to Dad.”

“About?”

“About you.”

“What about me?” I ask as several sentinels stand to attention as we walk past.

It never ceases to amaze me that these robotic beings are so cognizant of their surroundings. They were created to keep the city of Eden safe from outside influences. They take orders directly from the Council and do exactly as they’re bidden. They’ve never noticed me before, however, so what makes this time so different? I push that thought aside as I focus on Thela’s words.

“Pippa says the commanders have noticed the way you take care of the children. I guess they want someone who can put others at ease to train them.”

“Why would I want to train anyone? I’m only sixteen, Thela.”

She stops within her tracks and turns to face me. “You’re old enough to take on responsibilities, Griedea. I was your age when I started working at the Herbatorium. Be glad that the Council has seen your potential. Besides, you turn seventeen in about a week.”

I shake my head. “Yeah, but I don’t think–”

“Ladies,” a deep voice says as we near the Bunker, the main communications hub of the city of Eden.

We stop walking and turn to face Commander Bollard. My heart races as I stare at him. His platinum blonde is immaculately styled, and a shrewd light shines in his light green eyes. A sardonic smile plays about his lips as he gazes down at us. The man knows who and what he is, and isn’t afraid of exerting his power over those he sees fit.

“Commander,” Thela says, dipping into a low bow before him.

He nods at her as his eyes bore into mine. “Cadet Somanal, thank you for doing as I’ve asked.”

My sister straightens and salutes him. “It’s an honor to serve, sir.”

“I’ll take it from here. Commander Palenke requests your presence at the Symposium. I’d hurry on, if I were you.”

She bows once more. “Yes, sir.”

Thela runs off without another glance in my direction. I stand rigid before the commander, aware of the fact that I’ve gone against protocol. His nostrils flare outward. My heart thumps hard inside my chest. I should have done the same as my sister to acknowledge him. I’ve never been one to bend to someone else’s orders so easily, however, and wait for him to make the next move.

“So the rumors are true,” he says as several sentinels walk past.

“Rumors, sir?”

The commander crosses his arms about his chest and nods. “Aye. Such defiance is normally a cause for concern.”

I press my lips together, holding back the retort. Blood rushes through my veins, the sounding thumping loud in my ears. Fear envelopes me as I stand before the commander.

“I’m willing to overlook that if you do as you are told.”

I frown. “I don’t understand.”

He glances at his watch and turns to face the building behind him. “Come with me. What I have to say to you is best done in private.”

“But, sir . . .”

“It’s almost four o’clock in the morning, Cadet.”

“But, I’m not a–”

He raises a hand to silence me. “I’ll address your city status soon, Miss Somanal. I’m well aware of how unconventional this is. I assure you that all will be answered soon. Right now, I need you to do as you are told. Can you do that?”

“I–”

“Can you do that?”

I sigh and jerk my head at him in acknowledgment.

“Good.” He holds his left arm out before him. “After you, then.”

My mouth grows dry as a cloud of uncertainty surrounds me. None of this makes sense. Why has the commander summoned me at such an ungodly hour? Have I done something wrong? Those questions and more tumble through my mind.

The commander clears his throat, drawing my attention. With one last look at the empty avenue, I march into the building with the commander at my heels.