3. A Subtle Betrayal

"Has she taken the bait?" a voice asks as Thela walks into the room. 

"Aye, sir. Commander Bollard is talking to her now," Thela says as she drops into the nearest chair. 

Commander Palenke finishes arranging the food onto his plate and takes a seat beside her. "Hungry?" 

Thela nods. "Famished." 

He slides the tray in her direction. "Have a bite." 

"Sir?" She glances at the food with hungry eyes. "This is not–" 

"You've my consent, Cadet. Now, eat and listen to what I have to say." 

Thela pulls the tray of food in her direction. She nibbles on a slice of apple, waiting for the commander to speak. He nods with satisfaction and squeezes her right shoulder. 

Leaning close to her, he says, "You do understand that what we're doing is a cause for treason, yes?" 

She takes another bite and tucks her chin against her chest in acknowledgment. 

"Based on what we've been told, the location leading to Nomeias is buried inside your sister's mind. Your father made sure that knowledge of it was retained." 

"How can you be sure that she is the one Father entrusted with that information?" 

The commander slides a thick manila folder in her direction. Thela stops eating and flips it open. Griedea's face looks up at her. Though the photograph is several years old, there is no denying who the girl truly is. A lump forms at the back of her throat. 

A two-year-old Griedea sits on top of a metal table, her short black hair spiked in every direction. Griedea's black eyes are staring straight at the camera, a knowing light lurking in their depths. Thela traces a fingertip across the curve of her sister's cheek as tears prick the backs of her eyes. 

Thela's heart hammers inside her chest. She knows that what she has to do will have dire consequences. Her actions will tear her family apart in more ways than one. Griedea will never forgive her for the coming betrayal. Truth be told, she wouldn't forgive herself either. 

"Can you guarantee her safety?" 

"No, I'm afraid not. Once we begin, there's no turning back. You know that." 

"But–" 

"You know how long we've been waiting for this. To find the Forbidden City is a dream many of us hold dear, Thela. Your sister is the key to finding Sanctuary. I know it! We've been monitoring her brain waves and they don't lie. Her inner consciousness has begun to wake. Based on the letters found in your father's office, we know he embedded something inside her mind. We might not have an idea of what that is, but at least we know we can unlock the secrets he left behind before his untimely death." 

A soft strangled cry slides past Thela's lips. She blinks rapidly to combat her tears and fails. Several beads trickle down her cheeks. Thela wipes them away and tries to gather her composure. 

"I don't like this, Commander." 

He reaches out to curl his hand around hers. "I know, dear. Neither do I. This is a necessary evil if we're to ensure Eden's survival, however." 

"Yes, but–" 

"We must ensure that Griedea fulfills her destiny. She was created for this purpose." 

Thela sniffles and wipes her runny nose across the edge of her sleeve. "I know. It doesn't mean I have to like it. I've delivered her into the lion's den, you know." 

"It's for a good cause." 

Her head snaps in his direction with an audible pop. "A good cause? How is banishment a good cause?" 

The commander lifts a hand and rubs a thumb and forefinger across the bridge of his nose. "As I said, it's a necessary evil. Orders will be carried out soon enough, Cadet. You must maintain your part of the deal." 

"I intend to, but I . . ." 

"We cannot fall back on what must be done. Nomeias must be found. We will achieve that by any means necessary," the commander says, and pushes himself to his feet. "Report to the square at twelve hundred hours. Do not deviate, Cadet, or I shall be forced to take unwanted action." 

Thela nods as another rush of tears courses down her cheeks. "Yes, sir." 

Commander Palenke pats her shoulder once more before he exits the cafeteria. Releasing a pent-up breath, Thela gives in to the pain and heartache she feels. Against her better judgment, she's become part of a conspiracy that will change the world around her. Though it's been rumored that her father knew of its location, such information could never be verified. Not until now. 

Her father had lived in the city of Capadocia before the rift between him and her mother had grown far too large to be repaired. The fact that her mother had stolen them away in the thick of the night hadn't been lost on her either. Sadly, she'd been too young to understand the consequences of her mother's actions. 

Commander Somanal died two years ago in the midst of an attack against Eden, taking his precious secrets with him. He'd hoped to free her and Griedea from the council's clutches. Deep inside, she knew her father meant well, but that didn't change the fact that he'd led a rebellion against the city of Eden. 

Now, she thinks, there's no way I can repair the damage. Dad's gone, and Mom . . . Mom's just a shell of her former self. 

Thela swipes her hand across her cheeks once more and stands. She gazes at the partially filled plate with dismay. Clearing her throat, she shrugs her shoulders and marches out of the room. 

It's time to finish what I've started!