71 - Fractals

Day 12: Early Afternoon, Lubeck - North Germany

Florian stepped back from his workstation. He had his entire holo display devoted to the data he’d received so far from the Australians and their Incarna encounter. He’d brought up a 3D representation of their LAV and over layered their data onto it. He stood back now and watched the entire sequence of events from across the room as if he was an observer and not a participant as the ePad video made you feel.

He rubbed his eyes. His morning coffee was wearing off and he’d need to sleep for half an hour soon, to refresh himself for the afternoon and the meeting with the Canadians. There was something though, about the way the initial energy surge propagated out of the instrument panel? It was familiar in some way but not from any of his IT work he was sure. It was something …

The vid finished and he watched the faces of the crew go from combat expressions, to fear and then disbelief. Florian returned to his work station and replayed the way the Incarna static electricity field pulsed then faded. Yes, it was sequential definitely patterned in some way. Now what was it. He isolated the data on the actual rate of increase and decrease of the field …

Oh, oh how beautiful you are. He tapped in a command and set the data feed on a loop then sat where he was on his floor and gloried in the beauty of the slow pulse regulated by a Fibonacci sequence. Oh it was so beautiful the wy the numbers flowed and coursed through their sequence.

It reminded him of the days when all those Mandelbrot Fractals were being published as art pieces, actually …

Florian jumped up and lunged at his work station. Quickly he copied the data and instead of a loop he used the data sequence as the core numbers for a Mandelbrot sequence and …

He walked backwards till he had the right perspective and, gotcha … He brought up his wrist and tapped open the com to Sigi on his eWatch. “I’ve got them! I’ll sleep on it now. See you in 20 minutes.” “I love you,” Sigi said softly with her admiration for him showing plainly in her tone.

He smiled and tapped off then with the warm feeling of their love filling him and the shear magnificent beauty of the Incarna Fractal flowing in 3D in his holo display he pulled his powernap mat to the right spot and lay down on his side. He fell asleep as the fractal seemed to expand out till he was a part of it forever expanding across the universe in self replicating patterns.

Florian Berg, 12th generation occupier of his Hanseatic League Traders house woke with a smile and, you clever clever bastards! He let the thought fade and sat up to watch the next ripple of the fractal wave spread out from the centre carrying the same information as all the others ever had. He sat up and rocked back and forth a little in absolute child like glee. He hadn’t felt this excited by a discovery in years.

So who would contact who first, he wondered as he stood up and saved the sequence and then set up an entirely new file. He isolated the two files in different hard drives then disconnected the first and unplugged it. Three terabytes it had read. Well, what he was about to do would require what, tenfold that maybe more. Shit, buggar it and fuck you Parrish!

He picked up his headset, “Thorsten, I need Parrish on the line and I need it secure but recorded for contractual purposes. Inform him of that! Yes, yes! I know, I know, just do it please then you and Sigi come in! Oh yes Obomsawin, right half hour, ser gut danke!”

Florian waited a few seconds and then heard the connections to Max Parrish going through his system. “Hah, what time did you see it? asked Max impatiently. “12.18 and …”

“Shit you beat me by 22 minutes," he exclaimed. "Bloody gorgeous isn’t it!” Florian frowned, hadn’t Max seen what he had. Did he have that much of an advantage. Surely not, and yes it was a true thing of beauty.

“Right,” began Max, “I’ve already started loading the Djinn data I’ve collated, what about you? Which direction do you want to take." Max was very excited and spoke too fast for Florian to get in edge ways. "You got in first so you have priority for AIME access, and for free of course ... And we go 50/50 in the results, eh?"

“Yah, sounds just right Max. Did you intercept all the Aussies data files or just that from Washington?”

“Oh just Washington of course,” he chuckled. “That’s all I have legal access to, you know that. Yours is yours but the fundamentals are the same. A self replicating algorithm that rebuilds from its minutest sequence, pretty bloody special really!" Max paused, "yah know there’s only one source for something like this …”

“Is that why Deitmanns after them?” Florian asked matter of factly. “I’d reckon so Flors. Still they haven’t used it for much, so it must break down under some sort of data load conflict.” Max went silent and Florian could hear he was distracted by other voices.

Max came back a little too loudly. “I’ll send through the encryption keys and just do the usual mutations to get in. I’ve allocated you an AIME 2 in Hamburg so it’s all yours. They are linked and the AIMEs will use each other to refine the simulations until the conflict sources are identified and corrected. We’ll then freeze frame and do some reverse engineering to see what they've been up to.”

Max sounded distracted again, “How’s that with you bro?”

Florian smiled at his friend probably doing four things at once. “Yah, das ist goodt!” he said in as broad a North German accent as he could manage, then switched back to his Euro-English. “You know this will end up in gigaflops of data don’t you!”

“Yeah ain’t it cool!”