Chapter 31: Everyone Interrupts A Demon's Bath

Dyrroth sighed in relief as his fourth bout finally ended with him emerging victoriously just like his other fights. It was very difficult and challenging since it was not only a battle of physical and mental strength but also psychological. Hela is really detailed and brutal when it comes to her games but thankfully he received a few useful tips from Fenrir and a little help from Anubis. He doesn't quite understand why the Jackal God is helping him but he appreciated it nonetheless.

He's currently in the bathhouse where he would usually go after every game. Each victory afforded him more privileges like a fancy room, access to the bathhouse, and delicious food. Dyrroth doesn't understand why his soul can still feel hunger, pain, and fatigue but Fenrir told him that being dead in the Norse culture is merely a transition from the mortal world into a higher plane of existence. In some cases, the souls of the deceased could return into the mortal realm as someone or something else.

Dyrroth stepped into the empty space of the vast bathhouse. The humid air immediately greeted him coming from the steaming pools that littered the ground. He could smell the incense and other herbs wafting into the atmosphere that gave him a sense of calmness yet he didn't dare to lower his guard.

He began popping off the buckles of his armor, letting them drop unceremoniously on the floor with a loud thud. He kicked off his metal boots and removed his chain mail shirt over his head. Once stripped of all his dirty garments, he began dousing cold water over his head to wash away the blood and grime that had accumulated on his body in the course of his fights. He shooed away the huldras who offered to help him clean and only accepted the soap and towel they gave him.

After freeing his body from the layers of dirt that clung onto his skin, he finally submerged himself in the small pool of the bath. The steaming warmth of the water was a comforting change from the biting cold temperature of Niflheim. It almost reminded him of the hot springs in the Abyss where he would occasionally bathe with Ruby. The huntress didn't enjoy it as much as he did because she said that it was too hot for her so he had to adjust his preferences just to spend some leisure time with her during his busy days. The nymphs began serving food and mead around him which floated in the air over silver platters.

He especially enjoyed the liquor which was very strong yet tasty. It somehow reminded him of Ruby who is as sweet as she is spunky.

"Thinking of someone?" whispered a sweet yet sinister voice into his ear. He immediately became alert as he felt the Goddess of Death slide beside him wearing absolutely nothing and revealing her vivacious body for his eyes to feast upon.

He quickly looked in the other direction not wanting to have Anubis smite him out of existence.

"Good evening, Queen Hela. You look very beautiful but could you put some space between us? Your husband Anubis will get angry. Your games are difficult as it is so I don't need a Death God to make it harder and more dangerous." he greeted, withholding any emotion that might encourage the flirtatious goddess.

"Oh, don't be so uptight now. You needn't worry about Anubis, he gets pretty jealous but he's not a bad guy. In fact, I'm more evil than him. He's just possessive but it's simply because he never really had anything to call his own. He might be the God of Death but he is not the ruler of the Aegyptian Underworld. His dad is. Can you imagine working for your father all your immortal existence? If I was in his position, I would have slit Loki's throat before the first second." said Hela cheerily as if they were close friends.

"Well, I can relate. I don't want to be someone else's underling." he commented just to sound the slightest bit interested in her monolog.

"Right? I don't understand how he can be satisfied with his station even though he simply weighs the scales and judges the worth of each soul. He doesn't get rewarded for keeping evil out of the Afterlife. He doesn't own anything unlike me who owns this place. It might be gloomy and boring sometimes, but it's mine. I have my own subjects. Both gods and giants respect and fear me while he's only on the sidelines obediently doing his job like a loyal dog."