35 | wish of eternity

Eternity is such an undefined word. Lovers say the phrase, ' I'll love you for eternity ' so often. But how can you love someone for eternity, when your life spans less than one hundred years? '

    " Gaara.. Wake up, honey, " (Name) whispered into Gaara's ear. 
She glanced at the clock - 10 am. She woke up much earlier and prepared breakfast for the whole family.
Usually, the task was left to the maids, but on this particular day, (Name) wanted to prepare everything herself.
It was a weekend, and her husband and children all slept in. She wondered if they got their habit from Gaara.

    " Gaara.." she whispered again. With a sleepy yawn, Gaara opened his eyes and sat up.
     " Yes, honey, " he smiled softly at her. (Name) was sitting just next to him, looking so effortlessly lovely and immaculate. "Can I have just five minutes? " he asked in an adorable manner, resting his head on (Name)'s lap.
This immediately brought a smile to her lips, and she nodded slowly. Of course, Gaara didn't actually resume his sleep.
Instead, he just stared upwards, at (Name)'s face.
She ran her fingers through his scarlet hair gently, observing every single lock. Then, she caressed his prominent features, lingering a bit longer on his lips. 
    " Five minutes are up. Go take a shower, " she said in a playful stern voice.
    " I don't want to, " Gaara replied. " I want to stay here all day, with you. "
     " Really? Well, I'll just give the stir-fried gizzards and salted tongue to the kids. And you, well you can stay here all day," (Name) said drily.
      " Okay, I'll go take a shower now, " Gaara exclaimed, standing up, hastily taking his towel and rushed to the bathroom. 
Looking at his behaviour, (Name) couldn't help but laugh. 
     " I've put your clothes on the bed! Come downstairs later! " she yelled as she placed a set of casual clothes on the bed.

Downstairs, her children were seated at the table, fresh and wide awake.
     " Takumi, help me plate the dishes. Ryuu, take care of the beverage. And Mayu, bring out the cake, " (Name) instructed them to a specific task.

" Yes, mom, " they all echoed.

Takumi began to plate the huge variety that (Name) had cooked earlier. There were Gaara's favourite gizzard and salted tongue stir fry, seaweed soup, miso soup, and many more. 
Ryuu prepared two types of tea, honey lemon tea and green tea, and put them in earthenware pots, along with matching cups to go with it.
Finally, the youngest, Mayumi took the cake out of the refrigerator. 
Mayumi was born three years after Takumi and Ryuu, and as of today, she is fourteen years old, while her brothers are seventeen. 
Last night, the three siblings baked a cake for their father. Although the twins basically never step a foot in the kitchen, and Mayumi only saw the cooking steps on the television, the cake actually turned up decently. 
    " It's all done! " Mayumi beamed, sticking four large candles into the cake and lighting them up.
Unlike her brothers, who resembled their parents closely, Mayumi took after her grandmother Karura, and had light brown hair instead of red or (h/c). Her eyes however, were seafoam green, just like Gaara's. 

    " Mom, you should go and fetch dad, " Takumi said as he took a seat at the dining table.
(Name) nodded, but the moment she stepped out of the kitchen, she found herself staring into Gaara's face.
    " Oh! " she squeaked. " I was just about to go upstairs and get you. But now that you're here, " (Name) grinned, linking her arm with Gaara's, and urged him to walk into the kitchen with her.

   " Happy 40th Birthday, dad! " the three siblings burst. 
Gaara was pleasantly surprised and touched, but (Name) by his side was chortling to herself.
    " You did all this by yourselves? And what are you laughing about? "

With bits of laughter still erupting from her mouth, she managed to say " No.. It's just.. Fortieth birthday.. Gosh you sound so old! " 

Gaara gave her a sceptical look. " Just you wait (Name). On your fortieth birthday, I'll make sure there's a glittery banner that highlights the word forty.  "

    " Tch. I'll be a hot forty year old, okay, " she winced.

In the warmth of the kitchen, (Name) gazed lovingly at Gaara, a bright smile adorning her lips. She grasped his hand and led him out of the kitchen, where they could be alone.
     " It's been so many years, hasn't it? " she spoke. Gaara nodded, running a hand through his wife's hair gently. 
     " I know right? But it feels like I just met you yesterday, " he chuckled. " I can spend an entire eternity with you, and miss you the exact moment you leave. " 

    " I feel the same. I enjoyed every single moment with you, let it be dark or joyous. Being with you makes me feel alive. You're like oxygen, and I'll die without it, " (Name) rasped.
Gaara pulled (Name) into a hug and held her gently, pressing a kiss on her forehead.
      " If I never met you, I wouldn't be standing here right now. I probably wouldn't even be alive. Before I met you, I felt like I didn't have a reason to live. But after I met you, the desire to live is so strong, it's unexplainable. "

(Name) rested her head against Gaara's chest, smiling softly.
       " Do you remember the night where I met you again, Gaara? At Le Chatte Rouge? " she piped, drawing circles on Gaara's back using her fingers.
        " How could I forget? You were so beautiful that night, in that red uniform. It was enchanting and striking, like a thorny red rose. The phrase  I would use to describe it is ' femme fatale '. Beautiful, but dangerous. "

     " Really? When I saw you that night, well, I was surprised to see how much you've changed. When I saw Kamiko walking with you, I felt like pulling out every single lock of her blonde hair.
But when we met again that midnight, you were like my very own Prince Charming. "

    " Of course I'd go there to save my damsel. And I'm still quite charming now, aren't I? " Gaara piped humorously. 
Instead of playfully giving him a 'in your face' answer, she replied directly from her heart.

     " Very," she smiled softly. " What about me? Am I still pretty? " 

Gaara pretended to ponder for a while, acting as if it was hard to come up with a decision.
     " Well.. Hmm.. I must say.. "

     " Gaara! " (Name) burst, her face flustered. Seeing her comical expression, Gaara's lips curled into a smirk, and he cupped (Name)'s face in his hands.

   " I wouldn't say pretty.. " he began, inciting a sulky pout from (Name). " More like breathtakingly beautiful. No matter what you're wearing, with makeup or not, or even with your favourite bird nest hairstyle, you're still beautiful to me."

    " Even when I'm old and wrinkly? I know, some people age wonderfully, but what if I'm not one of those people? " she countered.

   " Even when you're old and wrinkly. Even when all of your hairs are gray. Because I want grow old with you - and be together with you until the end. I never wished for anything more than that. "

Wiping the stray tear on her cheek, Gaara smiled warmly at (Name).
     " Now, why don't we go and grab a bite? I'm so hungry, and I'm craving for stir fried gizzards! "
Gaara linked his arm with his wife, and they headed towards where the rest of the family were. 

    " Eat up, " (Name) grinned, piling a considerable amount of stir fried gizzards into Gaara's rice bowl. 

    " Thank you, " Gaara exclaimed cheerfully, taking a bite of his favourite dish. He glanced around, his heart feeling full and happy. His children were there, along with his lovely wife.
It was everything he ever wanted, and the wish he withheld for eternity. 

FIN

🎉 You've finished reading ᴍʏ ᴀɴᴛɪᴅᴏᴛᴇ // ɢᴀᴀʀᴀ ᴀᴜ // ᴄᴏᴍᴘʟᴇᴛᴇᴅ 🎉