Zoned

When I was in S.S.1, I got new neighbours. I was excited because, before they came, no one in the compound was my age or at least around my age. A small family of three that was a woman and her two kids were my new neighbours. She had a son and a daughter.

Her girl, Tosin and I were in the same grade but not in the same classroom. She was cute, average heighted and chocolate-ish in complexion. Her son, Tade on the other hand was in S.S.2 and was handsomeness personified.

Don't get me wrong o! Tosin was beautiful but, Tade is the topic of discussion here. So Tade was tall, dark and muscular with honey brown eyes and yeah! I did like him.
Anyway, his family and my family, which is just my dad and I, became very close. They started in my school but, changed after one session.

There also was this one girl on the next block that I just couldn't bring myself to like. She called herself Chloe (but her name was Ngozi). Everybody loved and adored her. She was almost a demi god. I didn't like her and the reason isn't too far-fetched. She was just too proud. Don't get me wrong, again. I'm not green-eyed about her or anything. Her pride just sickens me and the fact that everyone literally worshipped her didn't make liking her so easy.

Well, that's just by the way. I brought her up in this tale because of the party. So Chloe threw a party and surprised everybody that knew us both by inviting me and as usual, I came with both Tosin and my arm candy. My arm candy being Tade, just in case you didn't get the memo before. Her reason for inviting me became as clear as day once we got there. She had invited me only because she knew I would come with both Tosin and Tade. That babe had had her eyes on him since. That is literally the only thing I can say we have in common.

I had always known she had the attitude of a vixen and I don't support women tearing down women but, what she displayed at her party was ashawo pro max ultra. She stuck to him tighter than epoxy glue and Araldite could ever hold. I was disgusted however, my disgust and irritation was soon replaced with loss when Tade and Chloe started going steady. Ew!

I felt so bad for myself I actually started looking for cracks in their walls. What? I mean I had it bad for him plus we had good chemistry before Chloe came along. So I did what any mature sixteen year old would do. Stalk their relationship.

Yes, I can agree to the fact that I stalk whom I love and loathe alike. So one day, I was just lying on my bed. You know bored in the house and in the house bored. I decided to go on IG and go through some "#chlade" photos as Chloe had termed them. I found the perfect issue, Chloe was cheating.

I was heartbroken for Tade's sake but not sober enough to think my actions through I was selfishly drunk on my own victory. I knew he loved that girl. I knew telling him without first trying to talk her out of it would break him.

I knew all these things and, never have I ever acted so self-centred. I acted for me, for my dumb teenage heart. I told him and sent him the pictures as proof and yeah! You guessed it. It didn't work out as well as I had imagined. Saying he was sad would be a huge understatement. I knew it was my fault and that scared me a great deal.

Anyway, he got over it. We got over her. After some time, everything went back to normal.

Tade and I became close, again. We were normal. Well that was until he asked me out. Well no per se, he just asked to go out with him, like just the two of us. That was a date right? I was certain it was finally going to happen.

Tade was going to ask me to be his girlfriend. Everything was falling into place. We would date, fall even deeper in love and then he'd asked me to be his wife. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

We went to the beach and did what we normally did. Talk, laugh and play.
When we got exhausted, we just sat on the ground and let the sand tickle in between our toes.

'Why did you do it?' he asked surprising me. At that point I knew my past had caught up with me. Well, not really my past but you catch my drift right? 'Do what?' I asked acting  puzzled.

'Why did you tell me?' he was drawing lines on the sand with his toes. He had a hard expression on his face. It was dark and far away.

He was making it really hard for me to lie. I knew exactly what he was talking about. I knew I had to shoot my shot. 'I wanted what was best for you'. It wasn't a lie. I honestly believed I was best for him. A brow shot up 'or you didn't like Chloe?' he asked. Shocking me, was I really that bad at hiding emotions?

'Well yeah...' I said and stared down at my hands like I had never seen them before. 'And...' his eyes looked like they where begging me to continue.

'I really, really like you'. I would like to take this time to warn you about how cringe I was... well if it isn't too late that is.

He was looking at me with his lips pursed. No he was staring at me when I finally found the courage I was looking for on the ground.

'Nkoyoyom' he started saying with a confused smile spreading on his face 'I like you too' fireworks exploded in my chest. 'But, you're my sister'.

My heart plummeted six feet under. I was so scared I thought I was having heart attack. I knew what had happened was worse than being friend-zoned. I had been Sister Zoned.

****
A/N
Okayy I know, I know it's a pretty annoying one part short short story.
But abeg please oh! Just do me a favour and press that star🥺
I'm still kind of new to this.
Now with that being said, I really hope you enjoyed it.
Loads of Grecious Love from me🥰
Kiss kiss 😘